steel strop snapped

heartwood tree tech

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh the highlighted bit. Yep, pretty sure.

You might want to check that, if I understand correctly what you are saying is that probably the vast majority of UK arborists don’t have to have a LOLER inspection.

This is entirely misleading and for the avoidance of confusion needs to be corrected

Guidance from the UK government can be found here

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais30.pdf

and says (among other things)

The requirements of LOLER apply to employers, the self-employed and people in control of or managing lifting operations.

You might want to check that, if I understand correctly what you are saying is that probably the vast majority of UK arborists don’t have to have a LOLER inspection.

This is entirely misleading and for the avoidance of confusion needs to be corrected

.[/i][/b]

I work all over the UK visiting Arborist shops for Fletcher Stewart I meet a lot of Arborists and I would estimate 80% maybe more do not do LOLER and many (not all) do not really understand how or why to check their own equipment.

Many see LOLER as "The System" imposing restrictions and freedom on them and simply do not want to conform.

The magority are worried about taking equipment to a LOLER inspector having heard about freinds loosing half their equipment during the first inspection.

This is probably correct most of us have kit we have bought four or five years is probably looking a bit shabby and may have lost its markings. An inspector not knowing the history will probably take the view that not knowing the history will have to retire some of this equipment if you cannot prove its provenance.

If I could suggest an idea, it would help if climbers not currently following LOLER regulations kept a record book of what kit they bought and when it was first put in to use this would go a long way to helping them when and if they do finally have a LOLER examination.

I think I should be able to check my own gear and spend my cash on new gear not pointless certs.

Hi 'Sky Huck', hope all's well!

I can guess the answer but I'll pose the question anyway...would it be worth you doing the NPTC LOLER course...then you can inpsect your own kit and produce a certificate legally without fear of redress?

I'm now running for cover....aghhhhh!

Cheers, tc!

Paul

Hi all, a lot going on here. We all have our personal attitude to risk, whether related to equipment or not, so:

When there is doubt, there is no doubt!

Whether over a piece of kit or situation that the end result might be terminal consider it. The dumb ones die...its that simple. (this is by no means aimed at anyone here :001_smile:)

Hi all, a lot going on here. We all have our personal attitude to risk, whether related to equipment or not, so:

When there is doubt, there is no doubt!

Whether over a piece of kit or situation that the end result might be terminal consider it. The dumb ones die...its that simple. (this is by no means aimed at anyone here :001_smile:)

Darwins theory :thumbup: wonder how long it will take?

So what is the purpose of paying good money for a LOLER inspection????????

IMO this is the exact reason why a LOLER inspection is needed.

The corrosion may not have been obvious but too many people use obsolete poor condition kit.(I'm not saying that this is the case here).

How many people do a detailed inspection themselves?

You would not believe the stuff I have failed- including a side strop made with a jubilee clip instead of a knot!!!

Well a Jubilee clip would take years and years to rust through

Trouble is there was a knock on effect from the jubilee clip rubbing on the gate of the karabiner making it razor sharp.

And that karabiner was presented at the next inspection after it being failed when I first saw it.

Edited by Blakes 7
Forgot last bit