steel strop snapped

heartwood tree tech

was sectioning down a dead elm yesterday. i felt a little twich in my strop. on closer inspection when i got down the steel core had snapped. the core had rusted through but there was no signs of red rust coming through at all. it was only a few years old. i had developed quite a bond with it and a new one will not be the same. ow well happy days.:biggrin:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps this should also be reported under RIDDOR as a 'near miss' which could have resulted in a 'major injury'...or worse.

If you are able to include further details I will liaise with HSE with a view to informing the wider industry.

Please disclose all relevant information that will help your peers and colleagues to avoid a similar occurence.

THANK YOU for sharing this and thank goodness nothing serious occured as a result.

Take care out there..!

Paul

Perhaps this should also be reported under RIDDOR as a 'near miss' which could have resulted in a 'major injury'...or worse.

If you are able to include further details I will liaise with HSE with a view to informing the wider industry.

Please disclose all relevant information that will help your peers and colleagues to avoid a similar occurence.

THANK YOU for sharing this and thank goodness nothing serious occured as a result.

Take care out there..!

Paul

Agree. It is of vital importance that details are disclosed, including product details and pictures of the failure, to allow other arborists to quickly determine if they risk similar failures.

Once the info is available, we should possibly also ask to have a sticky thread created in the climbing forum, warning about this issue.

Yale should also be contacted to allow them to investigate and consider a product call-back.

I usually have complete faith in my wire-core fliplines, but after this...