steel strop snapped

heartwood tree tech

I thought all climbing equipment only had a 5 year shelf life and cannot pass a loler test if older than that.

there is NO five year rule, it is the manufacture that decides how long they will last. some olny give items six months use and it could be worn out, others things could go on for 9 years, which is why you 'the user' needs the little card (or just the info)that comes with all your ppe, so you know what to look for when you do you pre-climb inspection

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is NO five year rule, it is the manufacture that decides how long they will last. some olny give items six months use and it could be worn out, others things could go on for 9 years, which is why you 'the user' needs the little card (or just the info)that comes with all your ppe, so you know what to look for when you do you pre-climb inspection

Funny thing is... In a previous posting in this thread http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/climbers-talk/26314-steel-strop-snapped-10.html#post437146 I asked the guy from Yale that claimed the inspection criteria was published on their website to provide a link (I couldn't find it), and he hasn't (yet). Wonder what Yale claim the life of their Yale wire-core lanyards is (or rather, was, at the time). Can anyone else find the document that is supposedly published on Yale's website?

This truly is a serious matter. I don't see how the corrosion inside the textile cover could have been easily discovered in a simple inspection.

Funny thing is... In a previous posting in this thread http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/climbers-talk/26314-steel-strop-snapped-10.html#post437146 I asked the guy from Yale that claimed the inspection criteria was published on their website to provide a link (I couldn't find it), and he hasn't (yet). Wonder what Yale claim the life of their Yale wire-core lanyards is (or rather, was, at the time). Can anyone else find the document that is supposedly published on Yale's website?

This truly is a serious matter. I don't see how the corrosion inside the textile cover could have been easily discovered in a simple inspection.

look on page 12, details posted regarding the flip-lines

Monkeysteve did the strop snap at the point where the steel core has doubled back on its self and then ends?

Looking at my yale strop (which is exactly the same) it seems to be the case which if so is more than a coincidence to me.

yeh it snapped right at the end of where it doubles back. are you still using your strop?

yeh it snapped right at the end of where it doubles back. are you still using your strop?

Yeah mine looks fine though. Peeled back the outer cover a bit(not that easy to do) and could see the wire core was very clean with no hint of rust.

I reckon here lies the problem(the damage being were the doubled back core ends.)

This could...

1. Possibly be the cause,maybe the tail end rubs the coating off the steel allowing it to rust quickly.

2. Make it difficult to assess if the rope is thining/thickening due to wear/rust as it is right on the taper.

Obviously I'm jumping to a bit of a conclusion here, just seems to be a bit of a coincidence to me.

Anyway if nothing else the thread has no doubt made a load of us go and check our strops a bit more.:thumbup1:

Or bin them and stick to using rope which is easier to check.:thumbup::001_tongue:

look on page 12, details posted regarding the flip-lines

Sorry, missed that posting with the wire core flipline instructions http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/climbers-talk/26314-steel-strop-snapped-12.html#post438182

But I see no

- Information about life expectancy

- Information about how to detect corrosion of the wire that is entirely covered by the sleeve

So to me, I see nothing to indicate that the user has been neglecting any inspection points (although he may well have).

We are talking about the failure of a hidden, load bearing wire that is safety critical.

Furthermore, I see no justification for the accusations against the user made by Jamie Goddard:

In no way should the climber have been on this lanyard if they follwed the inspection criteria called out in the original packaging or on the Yale Cordage website.

If you were inspecting your gear before and after each climb, this would have been thrown in the bin long ago.

And the quoted reference to the Yale website (highlighted) is non-existant, as far as I (and Google) can tell.

I would have thought that a piece of wire rope that would have a breaking strength of at least 2 tonnes would show some signs of weakness, limpness for example, to break under one persons body weight, if it was being used as a side strop it wouldn't even be full body weight.