V.T.A symptoms "the chatty trees"

I forgot to get pics of the base of this Oak which has dryadeus and i think also Australe. The australe is in the large basal cavity. Its big enough to get a decent sized camera in to get shots. There is some pretty extreme fluting and flaring at the base. It has a very healthy crown which is a good sign. No signs of buckling at the base though or structural cracks.

008.jpg.82853aefc3c58e9209fff9d45e1808c2.jpg

007.jpg.c19aa3136007abd21c89596ee7f0a77c.jpg

006.jpg.863a76780a34f369413418f7cd4746af.jpg

004.jpg.892deed27a176aea90b07225489561d0.jpg

003.jpg.23b7c8182213e5ecaf56ca46bdfab973.jpg

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to get pics of the base of this Oak which has dryadeus and i think also Australe. The australe is in the large basal cavity. Its big enough to get a decent sized camera in to get shots. There is some pretty extreme fluting and flaring at the base. It has a very healthy crown which is a good sign. No signs of buckling at the base though or structural cracks.

I've learned to take shots of the features, the fungi and the tree as a whole in its context when shooting fungi, over the years it can give a great depth to the story. Thats a lovely internal cavity shot Matty:001_cool:

Oak, pedunculate. Pedestal deformation= low buckling round entire circumference. Cause, selective delignification/cavitation, via mainly G. australe with I. dryadeus also present.:thumbup1:

Oaks at least our native white Oaks, robur/petrea are highly resistant to This Ganoderma, living for extended periods if not indefinitely with it albeit in some very disrupted/adapted forms.

[ATTACH]131564[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]131565[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]131566[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]131567[/ATTACH]

Interesting tree :thumbup:

How would you expect the distribution of the two fungis territories to look? With the Ga being quite 'potent' and the Id being quite 'weak', do you think they would remain in separate volumes of wood? Or is it possible the Ga could end up with the tree to itself?

Interesting tree :thumbup:

How would you expect the distribution of the two fungis territories to look? With the Ga being quite 'potent' and the Id being quite 'weak', do you think they would remain in separate volumes of wood? Or is it possible the Ga could end up with the tree to itself?

Where I have found Ganoderma resinaceum in close association with another white rotter I have found very thick and durable psuedosclerotial plating of a brown colouration. I suspect they will do similar, though maybe the brown plate will be black, maybe the brown plating is Inonotus as apposed to the Gano, but I think it is the ganos producing the plate.

plates are created by fungi for two reasons, to conserve conditions, like like Kretz conserving moisture (it is a soft rotter after all, they evolved from water) or like the Armillaria sp, using a psuedosclerotial coating over their mycelium to move about the woodland in a protective sheath

Interesting. Are you saying that the black material of pseudosclerotial plating and the black sheath of 'bootlaces are the same material? And can you recommend any particular text that covers the matter and aids identification of fungal species based on plating colour, shape etc? Worryingly often decay can be found in cavities with no fruiting bodies, no definitive colour or even type of decay but with plates present. If these could help with an ID of the fungi present it would be good to know.