Big oak. Responsibility.

raker

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the tree i overhanging someone else's land (even council land) they have the right to cut off any overhanging branches back to the boundary, but they must offer you what ever they cut off or you can have them for theft.

If the tree is TPO'd they need council consent.

Yeah, the boundary thing makes sense. I would think its a courtesy to say whats happening though. Dont know who owns the river. Its tidal 1/2 mile further down.

It might make more sense when my folks speak to the council Monday.

Cheers for the input.

As Huk said and I would add………………

The other party may not enter your land to perform the works except with the landowners consent. (it’s a civil wrong and not much you can do if they trespass but put them on written notice that they may not enter anyway)

It’s also worth noting that you parents riparian rights extend to the middle of the water course so that’s where they can cut back to.

Pruning branches is highly unlikely to make a tree unsafe but they are responsible for their actions and if they were proposing to cut roots or excavate, and that caused the tree to fall you would have a case provided you could satisfy the burden of proof.

Andy

How is a one sided tree unsafe???

I created 100's in my line clearance days and none of them fell over.

i could ask you how you feel a one sided tree is safe ! . im not sure about you but after seeing first hand the results of someone cutting one side of the crown off of their neighbours tree because it was hanging over their garden and less than 6 months later the tree ended up on the property owners conservtory and rear extension . I would be inclined to say that a one sided tree can be rather dangerous , as far as siding off trees for utility work goes i would not considder doing any such thing to a medium/ mature tree . these days even utility work has to comply with bs3998 :thumbup:

These guys are going to ruin the tree one wayor another, they sound like ametuers, and if i was you I would kick up a fuss with your local T/O and make sure they follow BS 3998 2010 and 5837. I promise you if you make them do this to the book, the work will not happen, it sounds like a bunch of numpties doing a bit of e/a work and taking the pruning while there.

enforcing the propper standards will ensure the tree is not affected negatively, and with any luck make it too much of a financial logisticle effort to continue the work on your oak

i could ask you how you feel a one sided tree is safe ! . im not sure about you but after seeing first hand the results of someone cutting one side of the crown off of their neighbours tree because it was hanging over their garden and less than 6 months later the tree ended up on the property owners conservtory and rear extension . I would be inclined to say that a one sided tree can be rather dangerous , as far as siding off trees for utility work goes i would not considder doing any such thing to a medium/ mature tree . these days even utility work has to comply with bs3998 :thumbup:

When a strong wind blows against a tree, the trees root system has to be able carry the weight of the entire crown trying to pull the tree over, how can removing one side( which will dramatical reduce the load) in any way make the tree less safe????????????????????

These guys are going to ruin the tree one wayor another, they sound like ametuers, and if i was you I would kick up a fuss with your local T/O and make sure they follow BS 3998 2010 and 5837. I promise you if you make them do this to the book, the work will not happen, it sounds like a bunch of numpties doing a bit of e/a work and taking the pruning while there.

enforcing the propper standards will ensure the tree is not affected negatively, and with any luck make it too much of a financial logisticle effort to continue the work on your oak

Cheers, i`ll look into that.

Went to my folks place today for a looksee. Theres a lot of trees overhanging the river of various varieties. Mostly willow but a number of mature oaks. Ones a leaner right across the water and it would be a shame for it to be cut down.Its further along though and the far bank.

Looking at the oak in my parents garden, its going to take some thought and enginuity to remove the branch safely. The rivers very swolen and quite deep at the moment

When a strong wind blows against a tree, the trees root system has to be able carry the weight of the entire crown trying to pull the tree over, how can removing one side( which will dramatical reduce the load) in any way make the tree less safe????????????????????

I know your a stubborn old mule huck but this viewpoint is nieve:001_rolleyes: