Poplar

jed001

Ok, just to clarify my list of preferred firewood;

Poplar; great kinding, also good to be sold as yellow ash when stocks of good stuff are running low.

Ash, Sycamore, Cherry, Birch and Oak; Excellent! The best there is in fact. I also would like to add I have lots in stock.

ALL other firewood; Rubbish! I have none of this in stock.:sneaky2:

I see from your link you sell softwood aswell is that rubbish do you have that in stock :sneaky2:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, just to clarify my list of preferred firewood;

Poplar; great kinding, also good to be sold as yellow ash when stocks of good stuff are running low.

Ash, Sycamore, Cherry, Birch and Oak; Excellent! The best there is in fact. I also would like to add I have lots in stock.

ALL other firewood; Rubbish! I have none of this in stock.:sneaky2:

What about Beech?

Oak doesnt grow where I live, so it must be crap :biggrin:

Have you tried Holly? That is a good firewood, but not so abundant.

Mmmmm Manuka, Kanuka, Puriri, Matai, miro; all hot enought to melt your grate if you're not careful. Lots of stories of them melting grates, chimneys etc so just little bits at a time. I threw some Poplar in the firewood store this year just to see what it burns like after reading that it was climbing the firewood charts. I'll burn almost anything but have a stockpile of some really old gnarly gum, Birch (great for kindling), Oak and then some Cypress also to use as kindling. To be honest, if it's free I'll take it. Better off having something to burn rather than freezing my nads off in winter because I was too snobbish to take what is presumed as rubbish wood. Poplar splits easy too.

Dont think i could ever bring myself to take pop back to the yard for processing. Then again, I dont rate beech as a good firewood either, more in the league of horse chestnut.

If there's anyone ever on the West side of Sheffield (Crosspool) who can't be bothered taking Poplar (not that you see much Poplar in Sheffield) or any other wood back to their yard and wants to dump it on my drive in exchange for a few beer tokens, drop me a PM. :beerchug:

If you need my number in advance (on the off chance), let me know.

I feel dead cheeky posting the above but hopefully something will come of it.

Cheers

Gordon :001_smile: