got my first chipper this week

littlerob

Congrats on your purchase Sir!

However, sorry to wee on your chips but, even though you are self employed, you do need to update it to current H&SE spec. The seller should have advised you of the need and extra expense at the point of sale.

The upgrade is not a big job in itself, but please make sure that when adding extra weight to the back, that the front doesn't get too light.

When done, I hope she gives you many years of service.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There a good basic chipper and will run for years , i nearly got one a few years back.Bloody good engine aswell.

As peteb said i would do the upgrade to hse spec, it will give you piece of mind but will be better when you come to sell it.

I have used on of those quite a bit. I thought it was a bluechip...? could be wrong and probably am.

Keep the feed roller in tip top condition as once worn it has the frustrating problem of not being able to pull some stuff in. I think this is a problem with the single feed roller. We tend to have someone putting a bit of extra weight on the housing and bundles away.

Enjoy, it should make you a few pennies.

what sort of money are the bar upgades? or can you fabricate it yourself? i have a vermeer 620i

That 620 has a hydraulic valve under the feed hopper. If you want to fit a safety bar then swap it for a spool valve and rig that up to a bar. Ensure that the system requires two hands to release it to get the roller turning again in order to be HSE compliant. Its not a difficult job TBH. I used to have one- fantastic machine (but then I did put a huge diesel engine on it lol)

im not quite worrying about putting a stop bar on it just at the moment maby it will get one on but who know its only for me to use i work all on my own had th hse out to me be for and the guy from hse said there aint much he could do me for being just a one man band and if we listen to every thing they tell us wolud we be doing any work at all

Hey LittleRob, unfortunately, the insurance people and the H&SE do not distinguish between self employed and employed when there is an accident. In fact, the H&SE will take a dim view of "lone working". Hope you have a pre 1997 licence too as I'm pretty sure that she weighs more than 750kg.

nope im only 22 so no pre 97 drivers licence for me i all ready know she shakes well over a ton just a risk you got to take in life when i have weght bridge tickects for a franits at 14634kg no joke i can show anyone the tickes im sure a tad over a tone wouldnt bother me into i get catched that when i be crying