Dodgy splitter stay awey

Rick2517

Just to say, I think you've adhered to the forum rules well, people do need to be made aware of the risks of buying machinery, and tempting though it is to "name & shame" you've tactfully avoided that avenue.

Well done for getting most of your money back, distance selling regs do protect the consumer quite well. Good luck for the future :001_smile:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad luck mate.

I think you got a good case to take to trading standards.

Definitely cheap Chinese sh*t. I've got nothing against the Chinese but certain build quality should be priced accordingly... this might be the guy who's based down in sw England. I was tempted to get a splitter 2nd hand which originally came from him but decided against it in the end.

From what I've read on here the rico or riko splitter seem to be the ones to go for.

typical Chinese build quality.

I bought a Chinese pole hedge trimmer with a swappable chainsaw head, off Ebay.

First time I use it, it p1ssed 2 stroke all over my leg.

Seller wasn't keen to send a replacement filler cap until I reported him to his local trading standards.

Soon after the bolt to tighten the chainsaw stripped the threads in the hole it went into, steel into aluminium....

So I got rid of it on Ebay and bought Stihl, twice the price but light years ahead in quality.

Its like those Chinese compact tractors all over Ebay now, people are taken in by the reasonable price and the bright shiny look of them.

But the build quality under the shiny plastic is poor. I watched a demo one being started at a smallholders show last year and it sounded and ran really rough.

I was considering a Chinese quad but think I will stick with my Hondas.

Yeh the guy told me he builds them himself. That is actually what attracted me to it as i thought this would promote better care in the build and i love buying from the smaller players as most of the time you get a good service. Obviously in this case it hasn't really worked out like that!

I have been on to trading standards and filed a report, the legal letter is on route to him demanding for full payment + compensation + interest... Just a waiting game for 14 days now!!

Just looked on ebay, going by the pic in the first post you bought your splitter from the same person as me? :confused1: (Harrows are us)

I got the tractor mounted one, yes it's made to a budget (the blade is only mild steel), but it's a good enough bit of kit, and before I bought it I had spoke to him on the phone and he seemed friendly enough

Hes from devon i bought a tractor mounted splitter off him mines been great but someone i know bought two and theyve been crapp,i went there in person and collected mine i dont recon he was making them himself i personaly think they were bought in ie europe painted put his own name on them and sold on as his own,i recon you were dead lucky to get your money back well most of it,theres plenty of guys on here who can recomend a good splitter,jonesie sells a Lawn flight 25 ton splitter for less money than you forked out,give him a bell cheers DB.

Well I'm not sure as this guy was trading under his own name. Or at least he wanted the check made out to him personally and the bacs transfer was sent directly into his personal account. He was from that area tho!!

Also there was no vat on the price. Im guessing he maybe getting the machines in from another company maybe as returns or dodgy stock and trying to sell on and make a quick buck

Hes from devon i bought a tractor mounted splitter off him mines been great but someone i know bought two and theyve been crapp,i went there in person and collected mine i dont recon he was making them himself i personaly think they were bought in ie europe painted put his own name on them and sold on as his own,i recon you were dead lucky to get your money back well most of it,theres plenty of guys on here who can recomend a good splitter,jonesie sells a Lawn flight 25 ton splitter for less money than you forked out,give him a bell cheers DB.

Cheers db Il look into it.