What wood is this?

davetaz

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say an African hardwood, Iroko or one similar. Certainly not Elm, Beech or Willow!

Although on looking again, I see characteristics of Jarrah, an exceedingly tough & heavy Australian hardwood. Used some building a bridge over a pond a couple of years ago & bust no end of drill bits.

Hope all wrong, my educated guess is purplehart, Peltogyne spp It is an incredible wood and if you've just done it for firewood you've missed an opportunity. The tree grows in Guyana and as well as great beauty has great strength too. Has uses from diving boards, cart wheel spokes, counter tops, cabinet making

I would say an African hardwood, Iroko or one similar. Certainly not Elm, Beech or Willow!

Although on looking again, I see characteristics of Jarrah, an exceedingly tough & heavy Australian hardwood. Used some building a bridge over a pond a couple of years ago & bust no end of drill bits.

Hey Chris, where did you build that? i think i done some tree work there with Acacia a few years back, the guy was telling us about the wood, and the guy constantly busting drill bits, and it had to be pre cut specially as blunts normal teeth.