Wind turbines/wind farms. Your thoughts on them.

hazzygawa

Not a fan personally and formed that opinion having spent over a decade in the renewable power industry.

Embedded generation is a good thing generally if transmission losses are avoided but when the wind doesn't blow you don't generate!

There are two in my local tesco car park - dumbass public are presented in the foyer with a speel informing them of the 9kWh they each generate! :laugh1: That's 6 rapid boil kettles FFS! Would take donkeys years to regenerate the energy used making them in the first place.

Then what about Vestas - brilliant UK turbine manufacturer; Government forced by eurocrats to purchase imported machines so not supporting British Industry; don't get me started!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres my view.....http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/25236-terrible-news-about-amazon.html

I have loads of windfarms in cornwall, and i cant stand NIMBYism.

Deal with them. You could be facing a nuclear power station.

Agreed re NIMBYism but in efficiency terms wind power has yet to square up. Nukes are always by the sea - for the cooling. Perfect for cornwall then! :sneaky2: No the trans losses to the big smoke would be bad plus imagine the grid connection (there is always some underground) thru all that granite!!! Won't happen.

Yeah they are VERY inefficient, but I believe they have a place, esp in places like cornwall where it is very windy. Wave power good too. Unfortunately the biggest opposition to wind power is BNFL, and they plough mega bucks into anti renewable energy propaganda, often stirring up local hatred long before locals have news that a farm is planned....I had first hand experience of this a few years back.

im all for both turbines and nuclear ! they keep overruling the dungeness c station i think they should build it everyting is there for it in terms of infrastructure ! rail water and PYLONS ( I like Pylons)

also we have 27 ish turbines on the marsh now too i like them took bit of getting used to but they have a roll im sure mopre efficient ones will come along soon !

+1 Tommer9 about Nimbys,the people that are moaning generally have had a lifetime of burning fossil fuels and are fully ignorant to everything else.

My partner came up wth an idea to optimize Kernows power by inserting turbines in old mine shafts and drilling out to the sea @ a right angle therefore confining the water into a tube to push the turbine,out of sight out of mind,minimum fuss.

Or if the impact of wind turbines is that unbearable to many......Line them up next to motorways where no-one will give a toss the infrastructure is already there,doh.

I live in the east midlands in a small village called Watford gap. They ar planning on having 2 wind farms, one at the top of the village and one at the bottom. The turbines will be the tallest in Britain, 240m tall with a span of over an acre each. There will be I think 15 in all. The 5 surrounding 5 villages all have a w. Farm planned as well.

I think this is over kill and all I have worked for, being a place to live, will drop considerably in price. So will piss me off a treat.

From what I have read they are not energy viable and run at tops 30% efficient. They return the energy they took to make them in 25 years. Etc

Now I know farmers have to make a living and all that but com on.

What are your thoughts on them??

These supergiant turbines emit a low level hum that affects children's development.

HEALTH - West Lincoln Wind Action Group

Tell the windpower company to position the turbines 500 miles offshore.

i farm and personaly dont like them although a farmer not to far from me is having 7 on his farm @ £10.000 each , all this prime farm land being lost to these monsters, still we all use electric as we are doing so tonight, god knows why we arnt growing energy!! gives us two options then!!!