Is the Correct?

mark_goldfinch

No. it's simple

This is your answer

If commercially operated a combination of vehicle and trailer may not exceed 3500kg without a tachograph.

Fortunately there is an exemption that tree surgery can use if you stay within 100km of your base

That's how I understood it too

My understanding is, if the whole package is over 3.5t then unless excepted (50k radius rule for example) then at the least, manual records must be kept of ALL mileage irrespective of whether it is private or commercial.

This so a record can be referred to in the event of an incident when or if the towing vehicle is available for private use ie a 4x4, crewcab, whatever.

And gentlemen, it cost me £200 to discover that. No amount of saying , "I only use it for demonstrations, it's not for hire or reward etc will stand up in court.

On another point. Check the rated capacity of your trailers against your maximum allowed mass and towing capacity. If your rated capacity is 300okgs (Ranger, Rodeo) and your trailer is rated to 3500kgs - you are breaking the law even empty!

Agreed

Yes, keep manual records all the time and a taco must be fitted and used if your vehicle is a "commercial" vehicle and you go over the 3.5t mam and not subject to any of the exemptions. Remember to keep the manual records and the taco information in the cab for the previous 28 days and if a digital taco is fitted, then get it downloaded every six weeks, analyzed for infringements and issue warnings where appropriate.

That's how I understood it

so does this mean you have to stick with in the rules of a taco for example you would have to show that you have had 45 minutes rest for every 4 hours driving that you do? im doing my lgv next week so ill ask the instructor and let you know. sorry for thread it just some times traffic cops have a bit of a tenency to make up there own road laws.

To make it worse, we were informed that even if we drove only once in a weekly period and were require to use the tacho, then the whole weeks hours, irrespective of what actual work you were doing, came under scope of the driving hours, so show season was interesting with shows where you would need to set up that morning, do the show and pack up that night and drive to the next one, or even something as simple as working a 7 day week.

Edited by Chris Sheppard
deleted a bit by accident

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you are exempt, you need a tachograph when the gross train weight is over 3500, and have to stick to the EU drivers hours. So a 3.5 ton van towing ANY size trailer for hire & reward needs a tachograph

The tachos also need to be calibrated every 2 years

Commercial vehicles under 3500 are also subject to GB drivers hours, (so a plain transit van without a trailer being used for business). But you are not required to keep records, and I doubt you'll find anybody who does!

No. it's simple

This is your answer

If commercially operated a combination of vehicle and trailer may not exceed 3500kg without a tachograph.

Fortunately there is an exemption that tree surgery can use if you stay within 100km of your base

Andy, whats the limit of that exemption?

i.e. your saying you can go over 3500gtw but up to what? 4250? 5000?

Rhetorical question: what is the tow hitch on a 3.5t vehicle actually for??????

Your right there!

I had some 15-18 trucks pass through my hands in the 17 years I was on the tools, and not once were we offered a Taco when they were new but we always had a towbar!

The other thing that amazes me is that it is upto the driver to find out if he is acting illegally and not up to VOSA to inform us! or assist us in getting it right!

On another point. Check the rated capacity of your trailers against your maximum allowed mass and towing capacity. If your rated capacity is 300okgs (Ranger, Rodeo) and your trailer is rated to 3500kgs - you are breaking the law even empty!

If you do fall foul of that one it’s a simple job to re plate the trailer, it’s not subject to any real regulation, just take the original plate off and get one from the nice chap on ebay.

Your right there!

I had some 15-18 trucks pass through my hands in the 17 years I was on the tools, and not once were we offered a Taco when they were new but we always had a towbar!

The other thing that amazes me is that it is upto the driver to find out if he is acting illegally and not up to VOSA to inform us! or assist us in getting it right!

A friend and his father who run a company working on fsarms all over had to have both the landcrusiers and his 130 tachoed after he got pulled by vosa ! his brother with there pickup and caravan they were not interested in lol

he got a prohibition notice enforced with a time delay for him to get home then he had to rectify the issues and show this had been done before they could carry on he spent 3 - 4 hours stopped with Vosa and the police and he said they were very heplfull it was nerve wracking at first but once into it they were helpfull and he was let on way home with the notices to come into effect oce he was back at base !~

And im glad to read im not the only one to know about the issue with trailers plated to carry more than the tow vehicle is rated to being illegal :)

:lol::lol:

Yup tis one of those that you hate to think about ! mind oyu he was a good cop as i had an incident with my trailer and a saab and lack of attachment to the 90 and the traffic officer turned up and i was telling him the regulations lol !

Thanks for that