Ladder or not?

RPA

Ladder or not?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Ladder or not?

• Yes
    • No

Two catogories of climber piss me off. Those who are too stupid not to have and use ladders. And those too stupid to use nothing but ladders.

To be insular and not use a full range of tools is truley unprofessional

totally agree pete ....i might have to buy some bigger ladders!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what are you doing body thrusting in the first place , i stoped that about 7 years ago try foot locking its faster and easyer or better yet invest in a hand asender and a few pullys and set your self up an asending system ?

Doing that individually on 18 trees takes too long Ray and far too physical footlocking so many(x18)

I found by far the quickest way was to have my groundy install the throwline in the next tree while I was working on the previous, take the ladders away and put them up against the next.

When I come down, he disconnected the eyeend from my lockjack system, pulled it into the tree and before I had time to gather myself I was climbing the ladder whilst the lockjack was self tending the slack.

The ladders were labour saving for that particular job and don't forget, not everyone can footlock :sneaky2:

Oh the beloved ladder!

When it's 100 degrees and 90% humidity out, I sometimes would rather work as much as the drip-line as possible from the ladder. I'm talking about a 12' orchard ladder that be set up nearly anywhere.. And when I stand 10' up on it, with my nearly 8' reach- with a 12' pole-saw,, there's not much left on these smaller Fla. trees when I'm finished.. And it sure makes getting that drink of ice cold Gatorade nicer- when done with both feet on the ground.....

basically ladders are good in the right enviroment, it is nice to play with a throwline and bag though, ladders were invaluable when i was doing council work, we did between 10 - 20 a day thinning limes, it ws tireing enough with the help of ladders to get into the crown

ive got 2 ladders one extendible to 8 metre which i will use for access after ive installed my climbing line,once it gets hot here any height for free is a great help,and a smaller step/and open out for getting on to roofs,nearly all single storey here

I just found a youtube video where I added text about using ladders and it went like this.

I love using freaking ladders! I've got a 12' orchard ladder and when two rungs from the top, I'm standing at 10'. Now with my almost 8' reach and a 12' pole pruner, I'm at nearly 30'!!!

And when it's 90degrees out, I'd rather work the outer drip-line of a tree on a ladder, than spend time working my way out there, struggling to reach the tips from my tie in...

Then I can come down and hit the ice cold Gatorade whenever I want being on the ladder. Then after I'm finished, I'll start working my way up through the center and I'm done!

Of course this works much better when the Oak isn't much more than 60'....:awink: