neighbours tallish conifer needs attention

likeitorlumpit

I was thinking the same thing. Here I am spouting on about the idiots here that are poisoning and setting fire to trees that are blocking their views and now we are discussing how to do exactly the same thing ourselves! How about just having a chat with the neighbour. If you've got issues with them over other stuff like lobbing rubbish into your garden, sort that out as seperate topic. What exactly is the problem with the tree anyway?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

easy fellas:001_smile:

obviously as I said as a first call we're going to talk to the home owner

The issue is that this conifer on clay soils will if left cause subsidence- I've seen it happen to too many houses round here.

I'm looking for a fallback just in case the neighbour digs her heels in and says No! Agreed it would be criminal damage and I'm not keen to go down this route but I'd rather risk that than all the upheaval that subsidence causes.

I'll tell her I'm a banker:thumbup:

How old is your House? subsidence rarely occurs on new houses with good modern foundations.

I'm afraid though, even if it is causing damage you can't actually make her remove the tree until the damage is caused however you can claim compensation back when it does. Send her a dated letter politely identifying your concerns and give her some choices either to remove or be surveyed by an arboriculturist to put your mind at ease. It would also greatly help if you offered to pay or at least contribute to the cost.

Maybe tell your house insurance company about your concerns. If they agree they may commission a report on the tree (although they may not if there is no current damage). At least if the insurance report identifies the tree as a significant risk then you have some more clout in asking her to remove it.

Speculating about deliberate criminal damage, especially on an open forum, is idiotic to say the least.