Does anyone store inside a barn?

mattplace

I know the best way to season is to store outside or in a well ventilated area but do any of you store inside a normal barn?

My problem is that i am scared of my wood going missing if i leave it outside. As i don't live where the barn is, it could be left alone maybe a week at a time and i don't trust the locals!

However, i have a large barn which is secure and have plenty of space to stack nets/ bulk bags but there is no natural light and no ventilation. What i am thinking is to get a large air mover (similar to the pic below) and have it on a timer to run 10 hrs a day. This would cost 30pence a day.

Has anyone tried anything like this or do you think it would work? :confused1:

The other option is Heras Fencing, barbed wire, and padlocks!

Any help appreciated!

images.jpg.964fbecaa90811cadbba6aab37874f2e.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We stored oak in a barn and a lot of the logs went mouldy. This year we put pallets down and the logs are much drier NO MOULD. We did bag up a load of logs before Xmas and the mice ran riot, so we tend to put off using nets until the last minute. We bought some old storage units and keep dry bagged stuff in there now!

We stored oak in a barn and a lot of the logs went mouldy. This year we put pallets down and the logs are much drier NO MOULD. We did bag up a load of logs before Xmas and the mice ran riot, so we tend to put off using nets until the last minute. We bought some old storage units and keep dry bagged stuff in there now!

how long did they take to season inside?

did you just pile the logs up against a wall but on pallets?

at the moment i am packing into either net bags or barrow bags but with a delivery of cordwood on the way, i am gonna have to just pile it up and pack once dry.

I store my wood in a barn. I have done so for the last six or seven years but this was the first year i've suffered from any mould on the wood, so have been using pallets as people have been suggesting although i have noticed that it was only the cherry that went on the turn. Apart from that the wood dries out a treat and is nice and dry. Good luck with it.