Does anyone store inside a barn?

mattplace

dehumidifier? a really big one.

Imagine the lecky bills!!:scared1:

i would try doubling up the pallets on the floor and dont stack to high until you really need too, dont know if it would help but you could lean some pallets against the walls as well, i wouldnt think a big fan would be neccasary unless your barn is completely air tight??

Pallets against the wall is definitely a good idea!

And no, its not completely airtight... it wasn't built by a master craftsman! small birds fly in between the roof and the walls!!:laugh1:

I store my wood in a barn. I have done so for the last six or seven years but this was the first year i've suffered from any mould on the wood, so have been using pallets as people have been suggesting although i have noticed that it was only the cherry that went on the turn. Apart from that the wood dries out a treat and is nice and dry. Good luck with it.

Thanks, its good to know that you have good results with it. i'm sure we must have an advantage when its freezing cold or the weeks when its soaking wet.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, i want to keep them out of sight of the light fingered members of the community!

I dunno what your barn looks like, but could you fit mesh windows/grilles/vents above head height? Or just airbricks or something?

I've also seen people use pallets standing vertically between piles of split logs, to get air moving right throughout

The issue is humidity build-up in a sealed space.

When the sun shines on the roof the air inside the barn warms up and dries the logs which then release moisture. Warm air holds more moisture -- but then when the air cools at night it has to drop its moisture content which has to condense out on the wood and any equipment standing in the barn. You will notice this when you enter a barn in the morning as dew which has settled out on equipment -- and logs. This effect is most noticeable on lumps of heavy metal such as engine blocks.

You need to get rid of the humidity that will builds up when damp things dry in the barn. A de-humidifier is the expensive way.

The best way is vents low down and also high up. If fitting air bricks around building low down is an option, then do it. But also add vents high up at the eaves level to create rising airflow between the two on days where the sun warms the air.

I can guarantee that -- if done properly -- this will work.

Best wishes,

John Russell

Store in IBC cages then you get a good airflow around each cubic meter you store and the containers can be stacked. If condensation from the roof dripping is a problem then just rest a tin sheet over the top of the IBC.

Funny enough, i was chatting to a guy today and might be able to get to get some IBC frames for free! :thumbup: