Chronic arm injuries

TomFellows

Hello Arbtalkers, I'm Tom this is my first post.

I am 36 years old and run a small tree surgery business in Brighton, I have been a commercial tree surgeon for 13 years. I studied at Merrist Wood College in Guildford and have enjoyed an exciting and varied career so far.

In 2004 I noticed a sharp pain in my right shoulder which was at it's worst when loaded with an 020. I went to the doctors and it turned out that I had tendonitis. I visited an Osteopath for a couple of months and the problem seemed to pass. He was very good and gave me stretches and warm up techniques to try. I carried on working throughout the therapy.

In the years following this initial diagnosis the problem in my shoulder (and now shoulders) has got worse and worse and I have also now got really bad Tennis Elbow and wrist damage on both arms. Over the years I have tried every conceivable treatment (acupuncture, physio, sports physio, chiropractic, osteopathy, massage, cortizone injections, anti inflammation steroids etc etc.). Although I rarely have pain in my shoulders and elbows they pretty much ache all the time and feel weak and redundant. It's very depressing.

I have tried speaking to Merrist Wood and the Arb Assoc to see if they can help point me in a useful direction or maybe suggest some treatment or therapy that I have somehow overlooked but aLl they could suggest was going to my GP. Useless! They didn't even seem to think that these sorts of injuries were common in the industry. I beg to differ!

So I turn to you, my fellow tree dwellers, for help, guidance, thoughts, ideas, inspiration. My injuries are very bad and I am getting worried and desperate about my future. Any help would be so appreciated!

Many thanks

Tom

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi tom

dont envy you with those injuries they sound bad. i have had a dodgey shoulder for somtime and also have tried a good few different things for it and to be honest the main thing which has helped the most was time off( due to lack of work) but also whist climbing i have started using a lockjack and a foot assender even on small trees slows me up a bit but i always found that pulling myself up and holding whilst taking in slack on the vt system really hurt.

people i know also seem to rate doing wheight training to help biuld up the muscles.

not sure if thats any help but hope you get it sorted anyhow

carl

hi mate,had and still have patella tendonitis {knee cap joint} used to do alot of weight training and rugby , cricket ect as well as my job took its toll had to rethink the way i ran my life,lost weight stopped doing heavy lifting {stupid lifting on my own} watched what i was doing assessed every move and it helped , maybe in your case a lighter saw limmit your range of movement for a time . your still young dont bugger ya self up at this age.

Hello mate. I tore the ligament in the shoulder anew years ago where the collar bone connect to the top of arm. Osteopath treatment did work and I carried on working but only noticed the benefits once I changed the style of climbing. I switched from a klenheist to a vt. The difference in styles for as ending seemed to take the problem away. The initial problem was in my locking arm. The style of the vt allowed my shoulders to adapt and even out strength and muscle size. Problems went away and apart from the occasional bout of tennis elbow I have been trouble free.

What system do you climb on?

Oh, and wear gripper gloves as the help with the elbow problems associated with gripping the rope.