Real Life vs Text Books

odd_bird

I've had a very interesting chat with some guys about how things do change when you get in real wild world..meaning stretching the boundaries and braking the rules.

How often are you asked to do things that might/are potentially dangerous, which you do (or not) just so you can keep the job? Things that you might not have been trained to do or things that could harm you like using the chainsaw on your tiptoes for example or not wearing an appropriate PPE?

How often do you get to hear 'it's a real life, get on with it'?

Quite alot I would imagine, but to an extent this is the sort of work where to an extent you need to take a little risk or bend the rules a fraction fairly regularly to keep/help things moving along swiftly. Sometimes fun like riding a crane or excavator bucket into the tree and sometimes not so much. it sup to everyone to make their own judgement its your safety at the end of the day.:001_smile:

Quite alot I would imagine, but to an extent this is the sort of work where to an extent you need to take a little risk or bend the rules a fraction fairly regularly to keep/help things moving along swiftly. Sometimes fun like riding a crane or excavator bucket into the tree and sometimes not so much. it sup to everyone to make their own judgement its your safety at the end of the day.:001_smile:

Spot on.

To be really good at this or probably any job,you have to work outside the Rules to a degree.

Spot on.

To be really good at this or probably any job,you have to work outside the Rules to a degree.

It's an exercising question, Oddbird.

I agree with the above - and I also think that some of the rules that are laid down for us to follow are not assembled by people who actually do the job.

How often do you get to hear 'it's a real life, get on with it'?

Never, I'm too busy getting on with the job to ask silly questions. :biggrin:

As a newcomer to the industry, you have to learn what is a necessary evil, and what is unacceptable. This job is hard and you will get asked to do things you wouldnt do on a course, but there are sensible limits.

I think that some of the rules that are laid down for us to follow are not assembled by people who actually do the job.

as some jobs you just cant do without breaking some rule or other:sneaky2:you have just got to be confident that the rule breaking task is within your own capability:001_rolleyes:

It is very different in some ways but don't be worried choose carefully who you work for and you will be fine:001_smile: you won't be seeing loads of stupidly dangerous things going on I hope but there are some idiots about. Although you might expect things to be different odd bird never be pushed into anything you feel is dangerous just take it easy and with experience you will work out for yourself what you feel comfortable doing and what you don't :thumbup: I think the main thing what is different is people have a shock at the pace of the work at some places.

Be your own person, if you do not want to do something don't, everything has a consequence, it is up to you to weigh it up.:001_smile: Forget all the school yard peer pressure, do your own thing BUT be very aware, the picture you may have painted in your mind about this job is likely not to stink of sweat, be nervous, tired, sore and knackered most of the time.:biggrin: