beaten by a tree?

MattyF

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

had to do a side reduction on big popular over some phone wires today tree was over 100ft but high winds made me think twice when i got to the top,did the lowest limbs over the wires but still bottled it when it came to the limbs higher up that needed tip wieght off,all i could think about was the roping and anchore points snapping out with the extra load with the jolt of a snatch combined with the wind speed if i attempted it.....,but felt i did the right thing by walking away for today but fu(kin hell did it make me feel low to be beaten by this tree...

Matty F, intution is oneself watching one's back, an inherent wisdom that can be immeasurably useful.

My experience has proven over and over again that to ignore such insight makes my road more difficult, in any given situation.

Unimpeded winds are a force to be reckoned with, and a hundred feet up one is rather vulnerable to their impact.

I would not give it a second thought. Anything said after a fact is hindsight, and no one knows what may have happened. It is no ones business but yours to look after yourself.

Many years ago I had begun walking along a very narrow path, barely wide enough for one person to pass through, and closed in on both sides by trees- very secluded- at dusk when I had a sense to turn around and head back to the road. I had never had such a feeling about walking somewhere, and I used to walk everywhere at all hours, so I turned around. A week later a fifteen year old girl was raped in that spot. Made the hairs stand up on my neck when I read about it.

What makes listening to oneself questionable is that the absence of a detrimental or negative outcome makes it difficult to to be certain that one was correct in ones action. In the sense of the above story, for example, it is not certian anything untoward would have happened to me, but my turning around ensured that I was not vulnerable to the possibility.

An elusive thing, indeed, and one must pay attention to gain the rewards of listening to one's inner sensibility.

With Regard.

had to do a side reduction on big popular over some phone wires today tree was over 100ft but high winds made me think twice when i got to the top,did the lowest limbs over the wires but still bottled it when it came to the limbs higher up that needed tip wieght off,all i could think about was the roping and anchore points snapping out with the extra load with the jolt of a snatch combined with the wind speed if i attempted it.....,but felt i did the right thing by walking away for today but fu(kin hell did it make me feel low to be beaten by this tree...

i had a similar situation on a huge pop, just neede re-pollarding, i felt like a human kite and it just didnt feel right, did 2 braches and went home, at night i was worried my bottle and withered away!!! but went back when it was still and got it done, mission complete

In the manual of mine it's ok up to 45.

Problem is it doesn't say 45 what FPS or MPH

If it's fps it's ok to 31 mph

or 45MPH if in MPH :scared1:

Even 31 is quite a wind

Nothing Specific in my Denka manual on wind speed.

I try to stick to the below ;

2. Demonstrate knowledge of conditions when the platform

should not be raised

Weather conditions unsuitable:

- High wind

- Poor visibility

- Electrical storms

Taken from

http://www.nptc.org.uk/assessment-schedules/

LEVEL 2 CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCE IN THE

SAFE USE AND OPERATION OF MOBILE ELEVATED WORK

PLATFORMS