A Dangerous Removal ...

Aerial Arborist

i heard her say $1200, nice one.:biggrin:

good job, hard to make out the tree cutting but as far as customer feedback goes, well what can i say:laugh1::thumbup1:

That one worked out to $400 and hour for me and my most experienced ropeman, my wife Debi. She set the price.

The customer's male relatives handled the cut up and cleanup and they looked to get much of their money back selling cordwood from it. Her maiden name is Asplundh and her Father and Uncle started the company.

I was astonished to get the job with all her relatives working for a major tree company here in the States. It would seem there are no Family discounts from that corporate tree service company.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Staying up there while the saw was being serviced gave me time to consider my situation for a good while. It never occurred to me to come down with the saw.

Think of it like this - a treeclimber has 9 lives, you used up one of them on that tree, you got 8 left now.

Sure, I'm all ears, but you kinda had to be there.

which is why I said this in my first post -

you could benefit from working with an experienced climber

Actually I've hired two experienced climbers but they were found to be lacking. I'm looking for a really good one to help me out and learn from. Any volunteers to come stateside and help an old man out? I promise that I won't send you up any tree that I wouldn't climb myself.

Edited by Aerial Arborist
because I can

Personally I think you did a great job!!!

As some have said there are many things you could have done better/differently, such as taking out the top first, cutting smaller and using more gob cuts to reduce the affect of limbs breaking free, but as you quite rightly state, you got the job done so you method worked just fine, as the lady in the Oak vid put it "High five!!" too you Doug!!!

As for the sound of cracking at the base of the tree (I was not there so this is only my own tin pot theory) I think it could well have been the sound of the branches you had removed and were pilled up, settling as they do this small branches and twigs snap making quite loud cracking noises, I could be wrong.

Many years ago I used to dismantle dead Elms for a mate of mine, he started some of the trees himself, but came down because he "could hear them cracking" when I then climbed them I heard nothing, the mind is a powerful thing and can convince you that there is a sound or make the sound appear to be coming form a different source.

Really enjoying the vids, please keep them coming!!!!

Edited by skyhuck

Actually I've hired two experienced climbers but they were found to be lacking. I'm looking for a really good one to help me out and learn from.

Have you checked out Treebuzz.com or http://www.arboristsite.com/ They both have video forums, maybe worth posting your 1st vid there and seeing if there's someone in your area who could give you a few pointers when it comes to removing hazardous trees.

Hope this helps and good luck with your work in the future.

Here is another video of what I considered a dangerous widow maker removal. I'm sure that some will call me a "wanker" or worse for wearing my gaffs on a tree that stays but I make that call on an individual basis and when wearing my spikes in this case, and others like it, I use a "soft footed" technique where the gaffs only play a supporting role, and are only used with great care. Notice how little I use them and how I don't don't dig them in as I would for a complete removal.

Widow Maker:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c33XgrUL6OE]YouTube - Widowmaker[/ame]

My key concern was that the limb that was broken was being held up by a much smaller limb and I didn't know how secure the remaining attachment was at the point of fracture. Turns out it was pretty solid, but still a concern.