A Dangerous Removal ...

Aerial Arborist

Aerial Arborist,

just watched the first video - how long have you been climbing for?

the reason I ask is that it looks like you've not been climbing very long and you could benefit from working with an experienced climber to show you how to find the correct cuts for a tree like that and find the best work position for making those cuts.

Experienced climbers would not have approached that tree the way you did, some of the decisions you made severely increased the risk of stem failure and no doubt led to the ridiculous situation where you found yourself at the top of a large mature tree that was cracking at the base. To continue to work that tree down having heard the cracking at the base was a poor decision.

You seem like an intelligent guy who would no doubt take this criticism in good spirit. Trees like the one in your video command respect and unfortunatley you showed that particular tree very little respect and were lucky to come out of it in one piece.

There are safer ways to get a tree like that down, many people here could help you out........if you need any advice let us know.

Edited by scotspine1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right Monkey-D, I am a rank beginner with a lot to learn about climbing trees. Being an old retired guy I could have taken up golf or shuffleboard at my age but decided that climbing trees would be more of a challenge for me than either of those.

I just wish I would have started 20 years ago, at an age when some of you are considering retirement. But I'm learning fast, and although that tree may have been ill advised to climb, I did pull it off and learned from the experience.

... the ridiculous situation where you found yourself at the top of a large mature tree that was cracking at the base. To continue to work that tree down having heard the cracking at the base was a poor decision...

And it was at that point that the saw ran out of gas and the camera ran out of battery. Staying up there while the saw was being serviced gave me time to consider my situation for a good while. It never occurred to me to come down with the saw.

You seem like an intelligent guy who would no doubt take this criticism in good spirit... There are safer ways to get a tree like that down, many people here could help you out... if you need any advice let us know...

Sure, I'm all ears, but you kinda had to be there.

Seconded. Complete respect even if was somewhat dodgy I'm sure there's many of us on here that have done some dodgy stuff in the past, learnt from it and learnt to do things a different way next time. And we sure as hell didn't have the balls to film it let alone tell anyone what we had done.