Vehicle Image

Billy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ha ha i have just brought a sj awell to keep the fuel costs down on the truck!

the last company i worked for they changed there vans round evey 3 years 2 sprinters,2 vitos and a 7.5 ton lorry . custom paint,alloys the works on these vans . personally i thought it just put people off . becasue they thought he was just charging to much .

but them thats how he did it and it worked for him .

Ask your customers - until 2 years ago I was using a 1994 VW LT35.

In 6 years Nothing broke on it! It was slow but always reliable. Only problem was tin-worm on the edge of some panels.

For the last year I owned it I asked customers about the appearance factor.

The overall view was..

If you turn up in what looks like an old wreck you may appear to be one of the 'travelling' fraternity, but at least you will not be expensive.

If you turn up in a gleaming crew-cab tipper with lots of shiny bits you may be seen as 'obviously charging too much' - but maybe doing a better job?

It depends on the customer - some don't care about the truck - ususally they care about YOU and your attitude.

I usually use my land rover when I go out quoting so they don't see the van till we do the work. Over the years we've had tons of repeat business and loads of enquiring neighbours (they ask for a card while you're there - then phone you after you've finished the work and they've spoken to your customer).

A decent van is undoubtedly better than a nail - you feel better driving it, but its YOU and YOUR WORK that matters the most.

Go for something you are happy with running/maintaining - then you can relax and enjoy the work.

i agree apart from the quote about the travelling fraternity ie their trucks are all NEW:biggrin:

I have a 53 plate tipper, nothing fancy but not a nail either, fast and good on fuel. Like others have said first impressions and all that, the other thing is though if you HAVE to run around in an old nail you not charging enough, i dont see why i should have old or knackered stuff, the business should be able to pay for reasonable gear.

2 years im changing mine again for something like an 08 truck.