Any other losers like me?CS31 not going too well ):

odd_bird

Everyone on the course seem to already know what they are doing and have been working with the chainsaws for yonks and here just to get a formal ticket...I'm really disappointed with myself. Trees are falling wrong way, the saw gets trapped, angles only right from my side of a tree and all wrong on the other.. :thumbdown:

Has anyone else of you went for the course with no experience whatsoever? How did you get on?

I'm in a great need for some sympathy here.. :crying:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just take your time, ask questions no matter how silly they seem as that's what your paying for, there knowledge and time. If you mess up a gob cut stand back re asses and do it again above.

Dont get flustered and get the instructor to stand over you, try talking out loud explaining at each point what your doing and get in a good work position where you are safe and feel comfortable.....

most of all ENJOY

1st time i used a saw was at my cs 30-31 training, after a few days you will get the hang of it just don't rush into anything. everyones learned to used a saw for the 1st time.

when i was on my corse 1 of the blokes had a big head as most of his fells were spot on then got saw trapped and bent his bar.

just stick at it and you will be fine

I had experience using hedge trimmers and similar only before doing all my tickets. Of four of us on the course 2 were already in the business and then there was me and another fellow (a pro cricketer!).

I failed my small fell first time.

Just keep trying, don't feel sorry for yourself and also if you're really struggling keeping the saw level (I was!) then ask if you could do a couple of extra days practice.

Don't worry about what others say!

:biggrin:

are you doing this course completley from scratch , i mean do you have any experience in the industry or can you gain some experience?

No and No :dong:

Thanks for your supportive thoughts guys..I'm just worried that I might end up with a tree over my head..The instructor is kind of there..but not there..(if you know what I mean)..I just need to get that peeeep saw to go where I want as it's got the mind of it's own at the mo :sneaky2:

We'll be doing leaning trees tomorrow..somehow really not looking forward to it..I know how it supposed to be done but it's simply not happening :thumbdown:

I'll be one of those rare individuals who fail their test I guess :lol: 5 days for 30/31 it's just not enough (I thinks).

another thing that may help is to fell a tree high and use the stump to do a few practice cuts on doing this on every tree in a day will give you an extra 3 or so times at practicing cuts. Just remeber not to fell high on the assesment:thumbup1:

I also failed my small trees first time round and i had experience before hand. I just rushed into it acting a bit to confident and cut through my hinge. take your time youll be fine