Any other losers like me?CS31 not going too well ):

odd_bird

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are highlighting the problem with the trainign that is available.

They are teaching you to be safe and pass a test, not how to actually use a saw. You do that bit yourself, either before the cours or after.

DO you drive? Were you a good driver once you passed your test? Did they actually teach you how to take a corner at speed or to drive on a motorway or at night in the dark???

As long as you learn not to hurt yourself or anybody else, and you can fell a tree roughly in the right direction then you will pass, but you will still be learnign for a while yet.

I'm OK with the gob. It's the back cut that I'm not getting right. It's either to high/low or all other the place!

I'm gonna ask my instructor to watch me tomorrow until I do the whole tree. It's always easier for someone else to see your mistakes than your own.

Cheers

I felt like you after my first day on site, i was absolutely knackered! I was all for telling him i wouldn't be coming back the next day. My feet were killing and it was freezing and raining and the hill side felt like Mount Everest after the first 4 hours! Boy am i glad i didn't. It was one of the best weeks of my life! I had so much fun! Some of the Oaks were huuuge that we got to tackle.

Don't be frightened to mark the tree with you saw, roughly a 10% hinge and about 2 inch above the gob and voila... anything that will help you then use it! I've started to bore through just lately so you get the hinge first then cut out to the back of the tree with the pushing chain, if it's still standing then insert your lever and give her the heave ho... (or at least use the lever whilst you're on the course!) set about snedding ensuring you don't cut any supporting branches, get your lever and roll it over then finish snedding and start measuring for your cross cuts with the saw. If required stack the timber and show a bit of neatness and you will be laughing.

When i first started i kept getting the bar pinched and the instructor had to keep coming and getting me out but he insisted i was further along than the other students (who seemed to be doing everything perfect!!!) because i knew how to get the saw out and hopefully not get in that position in the first place!!

When test day came i had the same assessor that took me for my pa1 and pa6 spraying certs so i knew he was ok. I had to do three tree's for my test as i missed my hung up one. And when i finally did get it into the other tree it was a right ball ache! Did the letterbox, pigs ears and it still wouldn't budge. The assessor knew i could do it so he went for a walk whilst i man handled it a bit more with the walker, down it came just as he turned round! How happy was i to see it hit the deck! Set about it in the same way as the split level straight dropped one and that was that! I was flying high as a kite all the way home!

Good luck! When is your test day?

I felt like you after my first day on site, i was absolutely knackered! I was all for telling him i wouldn't be coming back the next day. My feet were killing and it was freezing and raining and the hill side felt like Mount Everest after the first 4 hours! Boy am i glad i didn't. It was one of the best weeks of my life! I had so much fun! Some of the Oaks were huuuge that we got to tackle.

Don't be frightened to mark the tree with you saw, roughly a 10% hinge and about 2 inch above the gob and voila... anything that will help you then use it! I've started to bore through just lately so you get the hinge first then cut out to the back of the tree with the pushing chain, if it's still standing then insert your lever and give her the heave ho... (or at least use the lever whilst you're on the course!) set about snedding ensuring you don't cut any supporting branches, get your lever and roll it over then finish snedding and start measuring for your cross cuts with the saw. If required stack the timber and show a bit of neatness and you will be laughing.

When i first started i kept getting the bar pinched and the instructor had to keep coming and getting me out but he insisted i was further along than the other students (who seemed to be doing everything perfect!!!) because i knew how to get the saw out and hopefully not get in that position in the first place!!

When test day came i had the same assessor that took me for my pa1 and pa6 spraying certs so i knew he was ok. I had to do three tree's for my test as i missed my hung up one. And when i finally did get it into the other tree it was a right ball ache! Did the letterbox, pigs ears and it still wouldn't budge. The assessor knew i could do it so he went for a walk whilst i man handled it a bit more with the walker, down it came just as he turned round! How happy was i to see it hit the deck! Set about it in the same way as the split level straight dropped one and that was that! I was flying high as a kite all the way home!

Good luck! When is your test day?

how did you tackle huge oaks on cs31?

max tree size of 15" :001_huh:

I would just concentrate on getting one cut right and then move on. If you dont feel ready to go forward for assessment then dont, your under no obligation to do the assessment until your ready. Too many candidates are put forward for assessment at the end of a course regardless of whether they are ready or not. Four days training is no time to learn so dont beat yourself up.

Try a 60 degree sink cut you will see the bar easier when formimng the hinge and rember to operate the throtle with your thumb this will help gain level back cuts.

All the best dave.

What is so confusing about that? Compared to the pine we were felling on the first couple of days they were about another 20ft taller which is alot to take into consideration when thinking about where the top will land. And we were in the middle of a country park so people were walking about all day long and would just appear from no where...

What is so confusing about that? Compared to the pine we were felling on the first couple of days they were about another 20ft taller which is alot to take into consideration when thinking about where the top will land. And we were in the middle of a country park so people were walking about all day long and would just appear from no where...

keep it cool fella,that was not the confused smilie,this is :confused1

just picked up on a point in your post,and you corrected it.