Tumble Drying the Trousers

odd_bird

I wash my hiflex trousers after after three-four solid days use, unless they are clean. I never tumble dry them as is says not to on the label inside. I just lay them flat on a clothes horse either in front of a warm radiator or a few meters away from my wood burner. They are normally dry in a few hours.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its possible that some tumble driers are not as hot as others, but generally I really would say don't do it, even if some have and got away with it. Its also possibel that some makes are ok to tumble and others are not but I don't think we have carried out enough scientific testing to be sure, so just dont do it.

I wash mine whenever they get soaked and dirty at work but not if they only get soaked OR dirty!!

Dry dirt brushed off, and water will dry, but wet slimey tree mould all over them is not great. If you think they are too wet/dirty to dry on a radiator in a house with white wall then its probable tiem to wash them.

A little liquid ariel and lowish temp is fine, then a good spin and hang them somewhere warm. They dont hold water well, so spinnign gets rid of most, and as said before turnign inside out might speed up the drying.

The fact that no one washes them often is a good indicator as to why its best to have your own and not swap or share too often!

Here's what it says in my HiFlex instructions; The garment should be cleaned every week if worn daily with average soiling. It should be washed immediately after use if heavily soiled. Conventional detergent is recommended for washing. Add a tablespoon of grease solvent to the detergent if heavily soiled. Washing at excessively high temperatures or drying in a tumble dryer reduce the protective function and wear properties (shrinkage). Just goes to prove that it's no myth that blokes don't read instructions eh.