Side strop when cutting yes or no?

Billy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It may take those few seconds longer. But going slow builds confidence in what you do, then your confidence builds your speed. So what difference would it make to clip in?

Personally I think not taking a strop up is daft, you never know when you may need it. In the unlikely event you drop your line, and your on something sizeable. You've either gota wait for an aerial rescue or freeclimb down which could end badly!

I've had it drummed into my to use my strop. I probably use it more than I need. But if I feel safer doing so, why not?

Interesting views coming through, quite diverse. I'm not saying I never use it but if i feel good jut balancing I will, if i feel theres a good chance i'll fall, rope up for sure. funnily enough in conifer i often do use 2 or none at all if its fairly dense and just topping as its easy to lose track of things, specially when the red mist comes down!:laugh1:

My strop is a permanent feature of my harness. Nothing worse than getting halfway up a tree to find the strop is still in the kit bag and you have to go down and get it so it very rarely comes off the harness. As to whether I use it all the time? I'd say about 95% except for when I have a perfectly safe crotch or something to stand in. Time was when free climbing was all OK as long as you had three points of contact but these days my common sense is greater and my gonads somewhat less steely. I prefer to go home at the end of the day for the sake of the extra time it takes to double up.

I'm liking the cut and hold thread at the moment and noticed another rule often broken was mentioned in there. So lets hear it how many of you use your side strop? i barely ever do unless i feel particularly unsafe or am struggling to get a good work position, i don't think this poses too much of a risk and saves loads of time, especially if i don't even take it up with me less to get tangled etc. what do you guys think on this?:001_smile:

So you're regularly advancing your climbing line with no attachment point? :confused1:

I always use it when sawing in the tree. I have been known to forget it on the odd occasion and dont tend to bother for the last few feet of sectioning down where needing an arial rescue just awkwardly out of reach are likely be worse than the consequences of a fall.

I'm not a climber but I understand it well enough to comment. Accidents can happen to anyone one slight lapse in concentration and it's not just going to be a twisted ankle.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/18273-climber-injured-collection-box.html

If this guy had 2 lines in he would still be climbing now, I know this guy personally and he's still in a bad way. Look at it this way, can you can afford to have a year off unpaid and your family won't suffer?

I'm not having a dig just highlighting that these things can happen to anyone out there.

Climb safe.:001_smile:

Are you talking about using a side strop (landyard) for cutting with as saw or just climbing in general (ie climbing till your TIP)??

Cutting, I think.

This thread is a spin off from the cut and hold thread.

HSE say you should have 2 attachments when cutting, as far as I know one is still fine when moving around the tree, although some have 2 when moving and 3 when cutting, but thats not mandatory.............YET:001_rolleyes:

Cutting, I think.

This thread is a spin off from the cut and hold thread.

HSE say you should have 2 attachments when cutting, as far as I know one is still fine when moving around the tree, although some have 2 when moving and 3 when cutting, but thats not mandatory.............YET:001_rolleyes:[/QUOT

Oh yeh, i read that..and laughed at some points made.

Surely 3 attachment points is just taking the piss.:sneaky2: