Tree Arson

Taupotreeman

Several months ago this Council listed tree (on council road berm) was poisoned by one of the local home owners because (we think) it blocked the view of the lake. The tree was drilled and poisoned over night. The tree had been monitored since then and was seemingly making a recovery from whatever poison was used (roundup being the usual flavour of choice) and we thought we might be able to watch it recover fully. Sometime during the early hours recently some bright spark figured that as the poison hadn't done the job he/she would try a more permanent solution (again, we think) and this is the result. We have a particularly dry spring in Taupo so the tree was reasonably dry. We are assuming some type of accelerant was used but this is most likley not bored teenagers but somebody who didn't want a tree obstructing their view. How pea brained and pedantic can some people be?

2010_1216arsontree0003.jpg.81a07282856d9ca8be53a5fe6e09c489.jpg

2010_1216arsontree0002.jpg.887859084d6c5c3cca22c59b114f0d67.jpg

2010_1216arsontree0001.jpg.dbb0345875c5c6a47c703c0fd3687eff.jpg

Unfortunately, I think so. I tried to talk the council into leaving it standing as it is just to stick one finger up to the donkey who did it. I don't think it will fall over in a hurry but it's in one of the more affluent suburbs and the neighbours are likely to complain about house prices being affected etc.

Now that (in the circumstances :sneaky2: ) is a monolith candidate if ever I saw one.

Go back to the council, extolling the virtues of standing dead wood & how it's becoming a rapidly diminishing habitat, especially in the suburbs. & bang on about little birdies, invertebrates & the like.

Be great to see the perpetrators face, when they look from out of their vantage point & see there's a big stick still in the way :biggrin:

I and the neighbours below know exactly which house benefitted as do the local council who have had a bit of a running battle with the aforementioned home owner. Problem is, we can't actually prove anything. It's more than annoying and this isn't the first tree to suffer and it sure won't be the last.

I've seen the same problem before .

I've been to prune a tree in the past and quite clearly the tree had been poisoned though Not by the resident but by the neighbour who drilled holes in sub terrain roots and back filled over so as to cover there tracks

but still the loose earth seen on there side of the fence and obvious signs of poisoning. Still the council refused to sue for destruction of property as the neighbour would just say " wasn't

Me prove it " it's sad but they get away with it the majority of times

From Bobs iPhone

Now that (in the circumstances :sneaky2: ) is a monolith candidate if ever I saw one.

Go back to the council, extolling the virtues of standing dead wood & how it's becoming a rapidly diminishing habitat, especially in the suburbs. & bang on about little birdies, invertebrates & the like.

Be great to see the perpetrators face, when they look from out of their vantage point & see there's a big stick still in the way :biggrin:

:thumbup1: and stand on the said neighbour's doorstep to see just what height the stick needs to be to spoil the view.