This months Essential Arb - Cut and hold

mistahbenn

The few people who claim to use a silky often, do you not find that it feels like an eternity to turn off and secure your 200t, then draw the silky labour through a cut and throw it, compared to jut grabbing it and buzzing it off with the 200? most time si go for the silky that sorta thing runs through my head and the cut and chuck continues, it just seems like such a drawn out process to switch tools when in most cases the chainsaw is faster, also i cut myself/ave alot more close calls with the silky as it commands very little respect...which is a huge danger in itself!

What percentage of your time in the tree is spent cutting branches too big simply to handsaw but are small enough to hold and manouver away from a delicate target? Not a great deal I'd have thought, so irritating as it is I wouldnt have said Its the bain of my life!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see where crossing your arms is a danger but what about using both? Hold in the right cut with the left........Hold in the left cut with the right?

:thumbup1: or :thumbdown:

Yes, if your comfortable using a saw in either hand then that is of course safer than crossing your arms by a long way. Not one handing is marginally safer altogether.

The few people who claim to use a silky often, do you not find that it feels like an eternity to turn off and secure your 200t, then draw the silky labour through a cut and throw it, compared to jut grabbing it and buzzing it off with the 200? most time si go for the silky that sorta thing runs through my head and the cut and chuck continues, it just seems like such a drawn out process to switch tools when in most cases the chainsaw is faster, also i cut myself/ave alot more close calls with the silky as it commands very little respect...which is a huge danger in itself!

Also cut and chuck is very safe as long as your work position leaves you with the saw closest to the stem, if your arms aren't crossed you can hold at least a couple of feet away from the saw in most cases.

Why would you have to turn off the saw and secure it? If you are going to use the silky then the saw would already be put away? You dont climb with either saw in youhand ready to use, so no need to put either away in favour of the other. just pick up the one that you want and get on with it.

I used to cut and hold now I prefer not to. When I started working for local authority I was still in the habit of cutting and holding but I was told not to. At first this annoyed me but over time I learned that I could do the job quite well without it. That's enough reason for me and besides my wrists are buggered enough!

I also used to rarely use my side strop but that was drilled into me and now I use it on most chainsaw cuts.

Once you have developed a good repetoire of skills, you can treat each tree, and each cut, as you see fit, you make these decisions according to personal safety, likelyhood of breaking something and speed and efficiency. If I think that cutting and holding is the safest and quickest method for a particular branch then I'll do it. Thet does'nt mean I'll do it on every branch.

Only using one method for all your work is stupid, in some cases it will be slower, in others less safe. spending ages trying to get into an awkward position for one cut with 2 hands on the saw when you could have cut and held it is pointless.

I would encourage every climber to add new skills to his repetoire at every opportunity, once aquired they are seldom lost, and may well get you out of a tight spot that would have otherwise stopped you.

I'm sure we have all watched other climbers working and thought "I wouldn't have done it that way" I have. Either rigging a limb you would have cut and chucked or visa versa. I have often seen people climb things I would have felled. Too many climbers have only one or two methods at their disposal and it shows.