This months Essential Arb - Cut and hold

mistahbenn

All in all I think the 'cut and hold' technique should be taught. At some point in 'most' people's career I think there is going to be a point where a step cut above a prize Greenhouse, roof, pond ect may go wrong so to hold the branch in a safe place and cut then throw away from obstacles would be better. If that method can be taught to people with a safe way to do it then great!! If not hundreds of people are still going to 'cut and hold' regardless as its quicker and some times easyer, time is money......:confused1:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only use my silky if I cut and chuck. Which tends to be on conifers. Spike up taking the branches of as I go up. Use the tophandle on the way down chogging as I go. Done in an hour for most. Silky helps drag out the process if there's nothing else to do. Plus I can stack brash as I'm going!

...and I would never in this world ever accept from anyone, them saying they have never used a 200t with one hand. I would find it quite laughable, as arrogant as that may sound :001_smile:

I never said i'd not used a top handle one handed, just never been holding onto the branch i'm cutting.

I may have cut a branch and let it fall, or even caught it as it begins to fall (and more often than not flicked the off switch as i cant use the chainbrake) but I've not yet had the need to hold the branch as I cut.

I'm not saying Its not a useful technique in the right circumstances if used properly. I'm just yet to need it. Mainly due to the fact I much prefer my handsaw so the occasions where i'm actually chainsawing (and not step cutting) something something i cant hold are few and far between.

Matt

I would say that ime and imo its alot 'easier' to cut yourself when one handing when you start crossing your arms/hands over or under the saw. Also putting your self in a position that will drag you or your arm into the saw if either the branch is heavier than you thought or it doesnt cut cleanly and hangs on. Another time is if cut and holding long laterals that can spring the saw up towards you.

Tbh I havent even seen anyone using a top handle that doesnt one hand.

It is also way quicker than doing the conventional step cuts etc, no question.

Apart from the obvious injury one handing can cause I think that there will be a lot more long term indirect injuries due to strain.

I am already feeling it in my wrists and elbows which I blame on cutting and chucking.

I cant ever see the HSE allowing anyone to train to use a saw one handed.

If I didnt work the way I do I couldnt compete in price. Being safe is one thing, being out of work is another.

Its the crossing of the hands/arms which is dangerous, not the one handing on its own. And holding something that will drag you into the saw if its too heavy is dangerous not the one handing on its own. So better work positioning will prevent those things happening, but that takes time to learn and get the experience required to achieve the correct work position first time and in less time.

It seasier for instruction and HSE purposes to just say no one handing.

The few people who claim to use a silky often, do you not find that it feels like an eternity to turn off and secure your 200t, then draw the silky labour through a cut and throw it, compared to jut grabbing it and buzzing it off with the 200? most time si go for the silky that sorta thing runs through my head and the cut and chuck continues, it just seems like such a drawn out process to switch tools when in most cases the chainsaw is faster, also i cut myself/ave alot more close calls with the silky as it commands very little respect...which is a huge danger in itself!

Also cut and chuck is very safe as long as your work position leaves you with the saw closest to the stem, if your arms aren't crossed you can hold at least a couple of feet away from the saw in most cases.

Edited by Billy
forgot something