Have you ever bottled it?

gibbon

I don't see how you can say that?????

Dave, lets just say if I hadn't changed the game plan during a job a few times I wouldn't be in a state to write this.

I've bagged into a crotch at 60' before (which I intended to work from), but a swing at ground level ripped the whole top out.

Alright, I've never bottled it. It's just my will to live has kicked in a few times!

Agree generally with your 'trees are stronger than they look' theory. Next time anyone reading this thread is asked to fell a 10' skinny self-seeded ash or syc, climb up it till it fails - it's amazing how far up it you can get!

Different ball game when that 10' is on top of another 70' though!

Really thought provoking thread this Gibbon. Makes me think of younger days. Some stuff I didn't do that I should have, and some stuff I did that I probably shouldn't, and got lucky!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agree generally with your 'trees are stronger than they look' theory. Next time anyone reading this thread is asked to fell a 10' skinny self-seeded ash or syc, climb up it till it fails - it's amazing how far up it you can get!

Different ball game when that 10' is on top of another 70' though!

Why?

IMO, thats just in your head.

I'm far from a seasoned climber and so have bottled it, certainly when i was still getting up to speed.

But i've got massive respect to your honesty :thumbup1:

Would you have done it if you weren't the boss and this was just another day as an on the books climber?

I'm far from a seasoned climber and so have bottled it, certainly when i was still getting up to speed.

But i've got massive respect to your honesty :thumbup1:

Would you have done it if you weren't the boss and this was just another day as an on the books climber?

I was worse as an on the books climber I think mate, my father was a very well respected climber they even nicknamed him lorry the legend haha so I felt a lot of pressure to try and fill his boots. There is always a safer way to do a job.

Thats the point thought isnt it?

If it goes wrong at 10 foot it will hurt, at 80 it will kill.

Your brain tells you this so you stop, well sometimes, depends if its your own job or you are subbing.:laugh1:

Yes but I've never had one snap at 10' so I don't expect it at 80'.

How many have had a branch fail????????

I just honestly feel our minds tell us to stop before we need to, I've ignored that and carried on and the more I have done it, better I feel I really understand whats truly safe and what isn't.

If this tree is as bad as is suggested, whats going to happen when its in full leaf and the wind blows???????