Have you ever bottled it?

gibbon

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

was tied to the other limb but that had an ugly union. That upper folk had a tear out wound on the underside brittle stuff too. Not going back up, like reg said i know what its like. Some times you got to realise that doing the work is a higher risk than not doing it at all.

was tied to the other limb but that had an ugly union. That upper folk had a tear out wound on the underside brittle stuff too. Not going back up, like reg said i know what its like. Some times you got to realise that doing the work is a higher risk than not doing it at all.

Gibbon,

Your making the right decision mate.

Just out of interest who specified the reduction and what was the reasoning?

Bottled out of a job before I even got it today. Abgout two weeks ago I priced to dead wood some biggish gums growing out of the pumice embankment on the lake edge. The trees are between 50 and 90 feet tall with another 30 odd feet of embankment below them. Went back to have another look at them today to check to see if they've grown another 20 feet in the last two weeks (as they do) only to see one of the bigger ones halfway up the bank has uprooted and is now in the lake. No wind, no heavy rain, it's just decided to go over. Apart from that, yep, I've had a couple that, on second viewing I've decided were just to dodgy to deal with. So far I heven't frozen up a tree though. I turn my music up louder and squeeze the butt cheeks a little tighter.

Gibbon,

Your making the right decision mate.

I'd like to know that as well. Dodgy dead tree, fair enough, but what is the point in risking a climbers life to carry out a spec that only a fellow arb would notice?

Come bloody close to coming down a few times but haven't as yet. Reckon it takes real experience to know when your head is playing with you and when the situation is actually dodgy. Sometimes you're never going to be able to make that call while up a tree and best course of action is to come down and think about it while not bricking it. Only hope that when the day comes I'm in the same situation that I have the good sense you have and act the same way.

I have looked at a couple of trees from the ground and decided "not on your life", and always got them down in the end without risking my neck. Top marks mate for trusting your instincts.

Gibbon,

Nothing wrong with the spec. There is an included union and decay at ground level. We wanted to get some weight out. Its an important tree being one of the 1st Southern Beech to be planted in the UK. I have a lot of time for the guy who inspected it, most other people would have had it felled. If it looked that bad from the ground I would not have climbed it so how was he to know.

The question was always aimed at the experienced guys as I think the vast majority of learning climbers will pull out when challenged to far too soon. Interesting who says "yep I bottled it", I respect people who are honest about there abilities who are not ashamed to admit that. Especially so from the guys who have been able to show evidence on here of impressive work.