Fuel Prices

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about people that run trucks for business, how do you think the fuel rises will effect them. Almost everything in this country is at some stage moved about on the back of hgv's. This is from raw materials to the finished product, be it food, building materials, new cars, old cars etc. Yes back loads are increasing and so they should, but that is not the be all and end all. The haulage industry is pivitol to this country, yes things can be moved about on trains, but how does it get to the train and how does it get from the train to the shop, simple, by road. This is one of the reasons why everything is so dear (because of the distribution costs). I think that if haulage was allowed to run on red, then that would bring the cost of everyday things down. I totally agree with dean about the tax situation on cars, but either scrap it altogether or just have the single tax amount.

These are just my thoughts on fuel duty, as having worked in the haulage industry and still do sometimes, i know first hand how badly these rises affect the industry. please dont feel i'm out for an argument as i am not.

What about people that run trucks for business, how do you think the fuel rises will effect them. Almost everything in this country is at some stage moved about on the back of hgv's. This is from raw materials to the finished product, be it food, building materials, new cars, old cars etc. Yes back loads are increasing and so they should, but that is not the be all and end all. The haulage industry is pivitol to this country, yes things can be moved about on trains, but how does it get to the train and how does it get from the train to the shop, simple, by road. This is one of the reasons why everything is so dear (because of the distribution costs). I think that if haulage was allowed to run on red, then that would bring the cost of everyday things down. I totally agree with dean about the tax situation on cars, but either scrap it altogether or just have the single tax amount.

These are just my thoughts on fuel duty, as having worked in the haulage industry and still do sometimes, i know first hand how badly these rises affect the industry. please dont feel i'm out for an argument as i am not.

I think what peeves me is dependency on cars for needless things, for example taking Felicity to singing lessons when Felicity clearly cant sing and never will.

If the price of fuel went up, less cars would be on the road needlessly, lorries would be able to get from a-b quicker and more efficiently therefore saving fuel and being able to absorb a higher fuel price.

Either that or we could have a cull, exterminate say....50% of the uk population, then limit families to only two children, anymore than two get aborted. Then stop any form of immigration but encourage emmigration.

I reckon that should sort out the deficit quick stick and sort out a lot of other problems too :001_smile:

I think what peeves me is dependency on cars for needless things, for example taking Felicity to singing lessons when Felicity clearly cant sing and never will.

If the price of fuel went up, less cars would be on the road needlessly, lorries would be able to get from a-b quicker and more efficiently therefore saving fuel and being able to absorb a higher fuel price.

Either that or we could have a cull, exterminate say....50% of the uk population, then limit families to only two children, anymore than two get aborted. Then stop any form of immigration but encourage emmigration.

I reckon that should sort out the deficit quick stick and sort out a lot of other problems too :001_smile:

Yeah but didnt you have a land cruiser when a mini would do the job?:confused1:

Plus as soon as you can afford it you are going to buy another!

I dont understand any of the logic of putting the price up to get cars off the road.

I agree with the cull though.:001_tongue:

I dont understand any of the logic of putting the price up to get cars off the road.

Again, I am not whinging about fuel prices, I think fuel is too cheap and I'm quite happy paying for what I use, whatever vehicle I drive.

Perhaps if people were more conservative with fuel it might not be as dear as it is now.

Putting prices right up doesn't get cars off the road. It stops people using their cars for petty journeys which they dont really need to do.

I am guilty, I went to pick up a package which stevie sent down with someone to manchester for me with a mate. It was a two hour round trip in the mini.

It should have really been posted to me which creates delivery jobs and it would be delivered by a delivery van which is on the road anyway and would have been cheaper for me

I have watched people jump in their car, drive 500 yards to the shop and back again :confused1:

This is what I mean about waste

The problem with high cost fuel is it hits the poor harder.

There well be people who cut out unnecessary journeys long ago and are now trying to work out what they can go without in order to pay for the fuel for essential journeys.

I agree with the cull though.:001_tongue:

How do you know a mini would do? I need seven seats occasionally and would struggle to pull a 3.5 tonne trailer with a mini. I could buy a lorry which would take up more room on the road when empty. I have had people moaning about my gas guzzler then found out they go to the states every year on holiday and like their weekend breaks. :biggrin:

The problem with high cost fuel is it hits the poor harder.

There well be people who cut out unnecessary journeys long ago and are now trying to work out what they can go without in order to pay for the fuel for essential journeys.

Most poor people are fat cos 'mums been to Iceland' (she probably drove there) and bought a load of brown food. Let the paupers walk and shed some lard......:laugh1: