Looking for advice on some spikes.

Joey1985

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to all this and I am now looking to invest in some spikes of my own. I have used some buckinghams and i have tried an uncomfortable pair of bashlins, but i don't have any experience with long term use. The shop i go to for the rest of my climbing stuff has 'Distel/Gecko carbon fibre climbing spikes' for sale which caught my attention. I can't seem to find any customer feedback anywhere about them. I would like any advice on what spikes would be a good investment?

Thanks

I have the alloy Gecko's, there are great!!, they were recommended to me by an arbtalker and I have recommended them to others, every one I know who has tried them think there great.

The carbon fiber ones are lighter, but not adjustable in length, I have heard very good reports about these too. The only reason I did not go for the carbons was because I'm fairly rough with my gear and felt the alloys would stand up to being knocked about better.

i use the carbon geckos i love using them the only down side to the carbon ones are if the tree ur working on has got concrete,tarmac round the base of the tree they wont last long as the carbon is soft and the concrete rips into them. so i carry a bit of 3ft sq ply round with me so i can take them of on something that ent going to damage them

4 different shaft lengths are available:- (S = 42cm : M = 44cm : L = 46cm : XL = 48cm)

Measurment is the total length from the arch of your foot to the base of your knee.

hope that helps u out

ive been using the carbon geckos for 7 years now. just recently moved onto my second pair. they are a little more expensive than the steels, and yes, they'll need replacing more often. but 6 years worth of wear out of mine is more than acceptable beings as they are the most comfortable spikes currently on the market IMO

Kliens and Caddys here, thinking of moving to the alloy Geckos, have they changed the lower straps on the Geckos? The carbon fibre ones I tried but didn't like all that much, but then they did have the small gaffs and I am so used to the long gaffs o my Kliens.

Edited by High Scale