All the gear - no idea!

Ty Unnos

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i bought some chainsaw wellies, cheapo trousers and cheap helmet for my 30/31 and regret it completely, the trousers didn't give me freedom to move properly, the helmet muffs and visor kept falling off all the time and the wellies wore my legs nearly down to the bone, the wellies do come in handy for river/stream work. cheap is really expensive as it hurts and you pay twice, quality doesn't cost - it will pay for itself..

i wouldn't recommend hi flex for a beginner,, you'll be replacing them in no time,, you CAN tuck trousers into wellies, nothing in the rules that says you cant..

hi flex are super comfy,, but they are as durable as a chocolate toothbrush.. and yes boots are great but they're also expensive,, if you're occasional user, then there's nowt wrong with wellies,,esp if you live somewhere where it rains all the time,,,

i wouldn't recommend hi flex for a beginner,, you'll be replacing them in no time,, you CAN tuck trousers into wellies, nothing in the rules that says you cant..

hi flex are super comfy,, but they are as durable as a chocolate toothbrush.. and yes boots are great but they're also expensive,, if you're occasional user, then there's nowt wrong with wellies,,esp if you live somewhere where it rains all the time,,,

Ditto, and as said avoid the Stihl hats. They are truly awful.

Buy cheap - buy twice!

Spend as much as you can afford, and try and find somewhere to try the gear on before you buy it.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies.

Its given me a really good idea of what to try and what to avoid.

Does anyone know of a place that stocks this gear in North Wales?

I have been to Corwen Forestry who have some stuff but not all. They can order stuff in but I would really like to try out different options before I buy.

Also are the any recommendations for trousers at the cheaper end of the market.

I prefer baggy rather than the tight fit stuff as I am on the chunky side!

What are the Oregon Classic Green ones like? or has any one tried the Stihl Value Plus or Forestwear Classic trousers?

And I might have to go for wellies to start with. The only time it stops raining around here is when it snows!

Try contacting the course instructor - they may have gear that you can use to do the training with and then that will obviously give you experience of the kit before you buy.

I did my course in April and had to buy footwear, went for the wellies on cost and as people have said they are not that comfortable but the instructor had gloves, etc that I could use.

Good luck, I am sure you will enjoy it.:thumbup1: