All the gear - no idea!

Ty Unnos

Hi Again,

Trying to get my head around what PPE I should buy for my CS30 / 31 next year and afterwards.

I have little experience as yet and I will not be climbing so am looking for gear for a beginner on the ground.

Helmet - Are all makes the same? The place near me sells the husqvarna one. Is it good enough?

Gloves - Protection on one hand or both? Again are the husqvarna gloves any good?

Trousers - Conflicting advice on this one. Do I only need type A as I will not be climbing, or do I need type C as I am complete beginner and am likely to do something stupid!

Boot or Wellies. I am sure the boots are way better but they are around £175. The wellies are £50. I am tempted to go for wellies on cost alone but do people actually use them? The guy in the store told me people wear the wellies in winter and boots the rest of the year. Is this true?

Jacket - As a beginner I like the idea of a protective jacket. I know its not required but did anyone actually wear one when they started out?

All advice appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What work will you be doing / are your career plans??

jacket - i was given one - lovely for bucket work and standing around in but i wouldn't buy one - Depends on your budget - if you intend to start climbing at any point get boots and type C and a climbing helmet e.g petzel - husky Helmets are good and you can get them with a chin strap and they are cheaper than the petzels. The Wellies are sound if you doing forestry not so good for arb work i reckon. Gloves come in a pair and they only need protection on the back of your left hand, will be explained on your course why...I never bought type A trousers becuase i always set oput to be a climber - they are warmer and stop crap sticking into the back of your legs but you will get toasty in summer....

There are so many different things out there you can buy but the best advice is buy the best you can afford and once you narrow down your choices you can always check on here but what works for one bloke wont work for another and often it is jsut a case when you start of buy and scavenge what you can afford and you get use to it soon enough

I don't climb, and for the near future have no intention of getting my climbing tickets....

Helmet - if you're not climbing, either the Stihl or Husqvarna helmet is fine. Don't go for a really cheap one unbranded one like you sometimes get free with saws, the muffs are crap and visor won't stay open when you want it to in my experience

Gloves - I don't know many people who bother with the protective gloves, at 20 quid a pair they work out a bit expensive! I don't think they're required by law (but could be wrong), I'd get one pair to do your course with and while you get the hang of the saw, after they're worn out see what you think best then

Trousers - I have a pair of the cheapo Stihl type A trousers, suit me fine. When they wear out I'll probably replace them with something a little more comfortable, but they're adequate enough for this not to be a priority.

Boots - don't get the wellies! Especially as you're not meant to tuck the trousers in, they rub your legs raw. You can get a pair of boots for about 65 quid:

Cofra Woodsman chainsaw boots | F R Jones and Son

I wear Stein Bergsteigers 105 pounds from above site.

hope this helps

Chainsaw Rated gloves (which i think are rated class 0 i.e they wont stop anything!) are a required piece of PPE and your employer should be providing them if you have a job and you will need them for your ticket and training. - boots buy Haix pro protectors - they cost a few quid but are the best work boot ever

Helmet - Husqvarna one for sure, much better (in my opinion) than the Stihl or Oregon ones

Gloves - I think for the chainsaw courses you only require one hand (left) to have protection, i hate the Husqvarna ones, i have an older pair and find that they are very restrictive, i would go for the Oregon ones, much comfier, and last fairly well.

Trousers - As you are not planning on climbing go for front protection, but if you feel safer with all round, then go for them, whatever suits you, Stihl Hi-flex are very comfy and light

Boots - I hate the wellies, used them at college, i have used Stein boots, but they fall apart... i use Stihl forest boots, dunno the actuall name, really good boots

Jacket - I have never worn a protective jacket, so cant comment.

Hope this helps

Edited by liamjordan

id only get the gloves for your assesment, as they are big and glumsy so rubber grip builders gloves give you way more control.

i would imagine wellies are a nightmare in summer so prob best to spend on some good gore tex ones ,i find the haix protectors are good.

stretch air trousers are good.

it generally seems the more you spend on the gear the better it is, so if your gona be earning money at this full time then i would get the best you can afford, part time you might wanna make do.

gd luck with assesment.

carl.