Alzheimers.

Mick Stockbridge

Another thing to keep an eye on is medications. They will forget they've taken it and take more, or will neglect to take it at all. I know of one person who over-dosed on laxatives, as they couldnt see very well and thought they were taking paracetamol for a headache! Another simply forgot to take their Warfarin, which led to other issues. Things that seem obvious to us become confusing for them, so regular daily checks, perhaps only placing out a daily dose of medications at a time, make things simpler.

My Grandmother has Altzeimers and Dementia.She has totally lost most of her cognitive functions and no longer recognises her own Daughter.

It will be hard for your Wife to realise that the things that are sometimes said and done by the effected person are because of the illness and not displeasure at the person who is trying to help.Its going to be a tough one mate.

Hey Mick,

Sorry to hear of your news. My Uncle has dementia and it can be very upsetting for everyone close to him. There are good days and a bad days when patience and fortitude are the order of the day. David can sometimes recognise that he has said something wrong and he can get upset or frustrated over that. Sometimes we humour him and go along with it and other times we have to correct him. The power of attorney thing needs to be sorted and preparation for his (and you mum in laws) future need to be discussed as at some point care at home will not be possible. I have to say at this point that I have got upset seeing David go from a strong, vital and intelligent person into a weak, confused and often bewilded person - a shadow of his former self. You are going to have to be strong and supportive to all around you.

Bets wishes.

Il second what Stephen said my gran suffered from this and certain scumbags on one side of my family turned her against other members of her family and all her money soon went. We weren't bothered about money it's just she didn't have the care she deserved towards the end and my mother will never get over it I don't think.

Iam no way implying you may have family members like mine it's just my experience it's frightening what a bit of money does to people.

It is hard to watch the decline of someone close to you and you need to accept as much help as you are offered.

Thanks for all your replies fella's, the wife is so worried about him she's in tears but she thanks you all aswell. This morning he was found in the street at 02.00 and now our whole lives have turned around cos he needs 24hr supervision. The wife is moving in with him tomorrow, I'd have him here but the bastard would be shaping up to me every five minutes.....:laugh1:

You gotta laugh or cry.

Hi Mick,my mother in law suffered from it until her passing,many years ago.It can easily wear out all those around,which is not what they would have wanted if they had been well.Often the sufferer can get quite paranoid over a simple change in routine,or something they dont understand.She would often mistake me for her dad [who had died in 1933] so i went along with it until the end.It is a time for comfort and fortitude - best wishes Tim

Edited by oldwoodcutter

Mick, mostly just echoing what the others have said. My grandma has it too and my grandad is struggling with depression as a consequence. He's got to a point where he needs help to look after her because she's a danger to herself (she broke her arm a few weeks back and then cut her plaster off twice and pulled the wires out that were inserted to pin the break because she didn't remember why they were there, it's now infected) but he's past being able to ask for it. It might be an idea for you to get onto social services sooner rather than later to see what help they offer in your area, and whether respite care is available to you too if your wife is going to have to give full time care. And definitely find out about support groups in your area/on the net. Best wishes to you all.

Sorry to hear the sad news Mick, my nan had Alzheimers and to be blunt and honest your wife need to prepair herself for the worst. It's not nice seeing a loved one being confused, dissapearing at anytime and most of all when you get that look of who r u and they don't reconise you anymore.

My advice would also be don't let her do it on her own get all the help you can, other wise it will totally destroy your wife and your relashionship.

All the best mate to you and your wife in these difficult times and the road ahead.

I can't say much more mate its soul destroying.