Fly Tipping

David Humphries

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this whole waste transfer licence business... I was led to believe that if the woodchip is to be sold on, and the logs to be sold for firewood or on your own fire, it is not waste, it becomes a product and therefore you require no licence.

Have I been misled?

Its a bit of a grey area but It's best to just get a waste transfer license I think there only about £120 for 3 years.

Plus (taken from a site somewhere) "The regulations mean that everyone has a ‘duty of care’ to make sure their waste is disposed of properly. If you give waste to someone else to take away, it’s your responsibility to make sure they are authorised to do so. If you don’t make sure your waste is disposed of responsibility you could be facing a fine of up to £5000"

Another good reason for a customer to choose you over a competitor without a license :thumbup1:

Therefore Mr and Mrs Jones could be in for a nice fine if the cowboy fly tippers are caught :biggrin:

this whole waste transfer licence business... I was led to believe that if the woodchip is to be sold on, and the logs to be sold for firewood or on your own fire, it is not waste, it becomes a product and therefore you require no licence.

Have I been misled?

I'm not sure that's how the EA view it. If you'd done the work specifically to produce logs and chip, then that is probably a product. If the main reason for the work is to prune or remove a tree for someone, I think they see anything that comes of it as waste.

They seem to be very keen to get as many people as they can onto waste licencing. Last time I rang, I got several different stories, but the attitude seemed to be that I should get a licence "just in case".

Its a bit of a grey area but It's best to just get a waste transfer license I think there only about £120 for 3 years.

Plus (taken from a site somewhere) "The regulations mean that everyone has a ‘duty of care’ to make sure their waste is disposed of properly. If you give waste to someone else to take away, it’s your responsibility to make sure they are authorised to do so. If you don’t make sure your waste is disposed of responsibility you could be facing a fine of up to £5000"

Another good reason for a customer to choose you over a competitor without a license :thumbup1:

Therefore Mr and Mrs Jones could be in for a nice fine if the cowboy fly tippers are caught :biggrin:

mine was 140 for first 3 years then 100 per year

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with massive overheads. When I had the vehicles vandalised during the school holidyas in Easter I nearly through my hat in. Sometimes I wonder what the hell I'm doing. Big risk, big stress, big overheads, small profit - am I mad? (I still love it though).

Unfortunately, even though its not really waste, the line is that you are carrying it while it is. So you can get fined for carrying it without a liscence. Worth having one if you don't.

I sat down and worked out one day what I actually get.

If I put in a box standard £350 day rate with just me and a groundy, chipper, saws and climbing. I actually get £95 for myself :scared1:

I've just got home and done daily maintenance.

MS200T: Broke brake handle so had to replace that, new plug, new sprocket, bar and chain.

MS170: New chain

Blower: New plug, new airfilter

£90 :bored:

Had my HS80 blades sharpened today £42

Got to renew my PL insurance this week for my woodland. Then theres the standard PL insurance, tractor insurance, logsplitter insurance, chipper, barn and wood store insurance, MEWP insurance, Employers, landrover, car, workshop at home, saws and equipment insurance, trailer insurance. Then we go onto house and contents, motorbike one, motorbike two, daugters car insurance (which I pay for :sneaky2:) and then some pilchard comes in undercuts you and does the job for nowt.

I'll stop there before I have a nervous breakdown.

Oh I forgot, accident and sickness insurance and loan repayment insurance

I sat down and worked out one day what I actually get.

If I put in a box standard £350 day rate with just me and a groundy, chipper, saws and climbing. I actually get £95 for myself :scared1:

I've just got home and done daily maintenance.

MS200T: Broke brake handle so had to replace that, new plug, new sprocket, bar and chain.

MS170: New chain

Blower: New plug, new airfilter

£90 :bored:

Had my HS80 blades sharpened today £42

Got to renew my PL insurance this week for my woodland. Then theres the standard PL insurance, tractor insurance, logsplitter insurance, chipper, barn and wood store insurance, MEWP insurance, Employers, landrover, car, workshop at home, saws and equipment insurance, trailer insurance. Then we go onto house and contents, motorbike one, motorbike two, daugters car insurance (which I pay for :sneaky2:) and then some pilchard comes in undercuts you and does the job for nowt.

I'll stop there before I have a nervous breakdown.

Oh I forgot, accident and sickness insurance and loan repayment insurance

I am sure I read one of your older posts Dean where you said you only worked three days a week!

£285 doesn't go very far.