Student fees

3dogs

This is my opinion to student fees due to recent events.

I believe that everyone is entitled to free education upto the age of 18, so this would include upto school leaving age plus 2 years to take A levels or further education. For those who do not wish to take further education then an apprentice system should be made available were apropriate for 2 years. For those who wish then to go onto university I believe it should be self funded. My reasons for this are, if I want to invest in my buisness I have to borrow or earn to do so, this is calculated on the fact that it will be a good investment and that it will pay dividends. So if students feel that university would be a good investment for there financial future they should take the same risks and either borrow or earn the money to do so, this being a calculated investment.

I know that there needs to be exceptions for some people, but these would need to be addresed on an idividual basis but for the majority I stand by what I think.

Im not going to get into discusion about my beliefs, just wondered what other peoples feelings were.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know much about it but from what i can gather you get a loan, pay your fees, live on toast and study for 5 years, leave uni, hopefully get a job and when in a position financially to repay the debt you do.

What i do not know is what happens if you drop out of the course or do not get a job when finished that warrants you to repay the loan.

Can you get a sponsor instead of a loan?

But how many people do you know that go to uni get a degree and then end up in a call center and never re-pay there loans due to earning below the re-payable threshhold. just a thought.

I certainly know a few my best mate being one.

I think the trouble is there are so many uni courses out there now and much more students compared to what there used to be.

And of these a lot of courses are not vocational i.e. they don't lead to a job afterwards. With some courses its very dubious as to their value at all...

I do not know much about it but from what i can gather you get a loan, pay your fees, live on toast and study for 5 years, leave uni, hopefully get a job and when in a position financially to repay the debt you do.

What i do not know is what happens if you drop out of the course or do not get a job when finished that warrants you to repay the loan.

I would think if you drop out, the fees you owe for the time you have been there will still be pending and once your earnings reach £21K the tax man will start taking payments, £300 a year.

This is a "graduate tax" thats all, I think its a lot of fuss over nothing, I think many of those protesting do not even understand how it works :001_rolleyes:

I would think if you drop out, the fees you owe for the time you have been there will still be pending and once your earnings reach £21K the tax man will start taking payments, £300 a year.

This is a "graduate tax" thats all, I think its a lot of fuss over nothing, I think many of those protesting do not even understand how it works :001_rolleyes:

:thumbup1:

This is my opinion to student fees due to recent events.

I believe that everyone is entitled to free education upto the age of 18, so this would include upto school leaving age plus 2 years to take A levels or further education. For those who do not wish to take further education then an apprentice system should be made available were apropriate for 2 years. For those who wish then to go onto university I believe it should be self funded. My reasons for this are, if I want to invest in my buisness I have to borrow or earn to do so, this is calculated on the fact that it will be a good investment and that it will pay dividends. So if students feel that university would be a good investment for there financial future they should take the same risks and either borrow or earn the money to do so, this being a calculated investment.

I know that there needs to be exceptions for some people, but these would need to be addresed on an idividual basis but for the majority I stand by what I think.

Im not going to get into discusion about my beliefs, just wondered what other peoples feelings were.

I agree with you.....also if they pay for it themselves they will put more effort in. instead of bumming around and protesting

That is the basics, yes, the posh student have beans on their toast and wine without a screw top.

Degrees are from 3 years upwards and you start to pay back the loan when you earn over £21k (I think that is the current figure). You pay back 9% of your earnings over the £21k limit and the interest rate on the loan is supposed to be inflation.

However, if you leave the country you don't pay it back, if you don't earn £21k (for example working part time) you don't pay it back or if you default for 5 years or fail to earn £21k for 5 years you never pay it back. If you or I went to the bank to finance a new chipper then 2 years later went in and said "that chipper isn't making me as much as I thought it would, will you write the loan off?" Do you think they would say no problems, leave it with us.

My sister in law (to be) has just finished studing medicine at one of the London Uni's, she has now got a £40k plus student loan and expects it to take 15ish years to pay off (on a surgeons wage) provided she doesn't take time off to have kids. I fully agree that people should pay (or be sponsored) for uni education as it now appears that everyone thinks that going to Uni is the done thing and no one just wants a job. But, who is going to fund the student loans for the next few years until these students start paying back into the system? Should parents be forced to fork out a percentage (e.g 50% to be funded by parents/other means upfront with the other 50% given by means of the loan)

I m a child of the 60's left school in the 70's aged 16 older people of the time use to say National Service made men of boys ,but as a youngster I thought they were talking *&%$. We no longer have any industry left in this country ,where youngsters were paired up with older wiser staff , and had the courtesy to shut up ,do as they were told and learned by their experiences .Young people seem to think that getting a degree is the answer to all ills, but i think that they should get work experince for at least two years before going to the holiday camp (university).oh and study something useful that might put the 'Great' back into Britain and lets move back to a nation of 'do-ers' not waisters. And to the question yes they should pay it back when earning enough .