Unimog

Dean O

• 1 month later...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got to take into account the fact that you can put a big chipper on the mog for less money than a small tow behind costs. Then your powering that with a 100-200 hp engine. You'll be hard pushed to make your no stress kick in.

Then your not towing a trailer. You completely fill the box with chip so it holds loads more than a transit. You can get in places you wouldn't believe. The small ones have got the same turning circle as a London Taxi (nearly). If you register it as a Agricultural Machine rather than a tractor they will have great difficulty prosecuting you for running on red depending on if you can call your work forestry or not. There is a very good s/h parts network for mogs. Some parts are very cheap, e.g. new disks for brakes £100. If you keep on top of them they're very reliable. If you look after them they do not depreciate. Your skills as a mechanic will improve.

i like the shape of the u900

is the 900 just an earlier model?

I like the idea of the simplicity of the 900 - but do they / can they have the same uses pto applications etc?

the 900 is bit earlier model mines a 1983 they changed the shape slghtly late eighties early nineties .the newest 417 (900) ive seen is a J plate 1992

I think a U1200+tp200 chipper is a very good set up;

3 seat cab, same size pretty much as a 900, better gearbox, turbo, good capacity for chip,enough power for chipper.

I ran one for a few years then stevie got it.I then went bigger and so did stevie and thats a whole different story. But to compare to a landy you have a much more capable machine- its the little details like when you go and tip yourchip youve got to drop your chipper off, tip, put it back on, with the mog you just rock up and tip sideways, done.

You're not towing, so offroad its better, with V treads youll travel better. On the road its got good maners, and speedwise if you left the yard in the landy and the mog at the same time to get to site the mog would be no more than 10min behind (unless your hitting the M/way!)

But they cost as others have said, so its down to what work you have AND what work getting it will Gernerate.

But the biggest advantage i see is depreciation. With a mog (notincluding running costs) you will get what you have paid for it if you look after it.

But i am biased as i have used them for a long time and kinda quite like them:001_cool:

Well I ended up taking a punt on another 130 landy instead.

Still got the mog in mind but perhaps at the end of next summer. It'll give me chance to learn more about them, keep an eye open for a nice one and a bit longer to save up for a good one.

going to have to have a rejig of what kit we've got.

I like the idea of having a timber trailer with grab to go along with it too - think this would save us loads of time at certain jobs