All Terrains on a Transit?

Mark Bolam

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an air locker will only help with the traction available, poor biting tyres aren't going to find better traction with an air locker, get good tyres first then maybe an air locker to give beastly traction.:001_smile: i used to do a bit of grasstrack racing and the cars with the knobblyest tyres always won:thumbup:

If you are going to take them off in the spring I would just bite the bullet and put a good MT on . Its important to have good traction on the back of my hilux as we have manual locking hubs on the front and there is no way I am getting out to do that in this weather. So loaded or not it goes everywhere just in rear wheel drive. I think it is supposed to have limited slip diff on the back but after 200,000 miles I doubt that still works. I hope this helps with your decision a good quality tyre will carry the weight better without overheating or going out of shape.

Yo mark get her done.they will offer better traction,however not only that you can run them lower pressure in the rough stuff.

And as far as legality goes,so long as they ain't fouling the arches or scubbing,and there is no protrusion from arches the MOT won't matter diddly

I passed few transits with BF's when I did MOT's

only problem is the gearing on transits is absolute pap.

But if you just want a more surefooted ride inthe roof stuff then yup I suggest hoss on with it bud

I've put some Insa Turbo Special Tracks (very aggressive mud terrains) on the back of my Toyota Dyna (twin wheel 3.5 tonne - like a transit) and it has made a big difference to where it will go. I also put some wider front van tyres on, as a lot of the time it seemed to lose traction when the front tyres sunk in (these seem to help a bit). Be careful with the front tyres though - make sure these are strong enough for the axle loading, as you are more likely to overload these single tyres than the rear doubles. I run this set up all year round with no problems with legality or the MOT etc. The only downside is that they are very noisy - from outside my van sounds like a quad going down the road!

i used to have a transit tipper, 54 plate and i had colway tyres on the back, they were snow/winter tread, awesome for grass, they stopped making them though but only last week i saw a united utillitys transit with bfg A/T on.