An Extra Public Holiday?

Gareth Dalzell

So just to check this out. This extra Public Holiday (For the Royal Wedding) - is it to be taken out of our existing 5.6weeks paid holiday? No Royalist/Republican angle here, just curious as an employer on which this has an impact:confused1:

no its an extra & you have the privilage off paying for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think every bank holiday "can" come out of annual holidays, its up the the employer.

So, if you have 20 days holiday a year and there are 8 bank holidays, then that means you can take another 12 days off. But some employers dont count bank holidays as part of the annual holidays. It depends on if you (the employer) want to run the business on bank holidays.

So a shop that is open bank holidays employs someone on 20K and give them 30 days holiday, its not relevant if those days are bank holidays or not.

Most tree companies dont work bank holidays, so IMO they should not be included in the annual holidays, so an employee should have XX amount of holidays plus all bank holidays, but of course this balances itself out in the actuall amount of pay per day,week,month, year.

If there is an extra bank holiday next year then take it out of their annual holidays allowance, that is perfectly legal to do so, OR adjust their anual pay by a few pence a day to take inot account the extra day off. Simples.

Rupe, thanks for that. It got me thinking and I got onto the Labour Relations Agency site and then linked across to a "Working Time Directive" advice note that says Bank, public and holidays by Royal Warrant can currently be included within the existing holiday entitlement - Excellent - so the trip to Poundstretcher to get some towels for the Happy couple is back on.:thumbup:

It's a celebration.

It's the type of thing that makes the rest of the world jealous.

I will be doing special 'Royal Wedding' rates for tree services for a couple of weeks either side of the big event. Probably about 50% more than usual so we can party, but I will give out a small paper Union Jack to every customer.

Rule Britannia!