Cold spell upcoming?

peckerwoo

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Peckerwoo

Any signs of the milder westerlys breaking through!

I notice all our milder air is over greenland and east canada!

That anticyclone is still blocking our weather!

Have you got a long term forcast for the rest of the winter?

I would hazard a guess that this cold weather will continue for some time, If its going to continue to be so harsh i dont know!

I suppose thats due to what the jet stream does!

The seas around the UK especially the north sea have had their temperatures reduced early this year!

This could well affect how much warmth we get from them!

JAY

Aye, forgot to give you some credit for that one Peckerwoo! Blinking -9.4 celcius last night - we're right down on the coast and it's never this cold usually!

down to -7 last night, just outside leeds

tried the hot water test (throw half a cup of boiling water in the air) no ice/snow but none of the water landed:001_cool::001_cool::001_cool:

I'd take my hat off to Peckerwoo if it weren't so cold. He got it spot on.

I had to leave the house at just before 6am this morning - thermometer said -12C. I had to stop half a dozen times because the windscreen wipers were freezing when I used the washers, despise having 25% screen wash in the washer bottle.

3pm now and -4.

Another amateur weather forecaster I read was saying that Jan Feb and March will be mild, with an early spring.

Very humbled by the responses thanks, but I do enjoy studying (didnt do much at skoyal (school) lol) the plethora of data one can retrieve from the net but Iv`e got full on problems dealing with roof leaks ATM thanks to -9°C temps and ancient tiles so mrs peck is on my case big time :sad:

Hi Peckerwoo

Any signs of the milder westerlys breaking through!

I notice all our milder air is over greenland and east canada!

That anticyclone is still blocking our weather!

Have you got a long term forcast for the rest of the winter?

I would hazard a guess that this cold weather will continue for some time, If its going to continue to be so harsh i dont know!

I suppose thats due to what the jet stream does!

The seas around the UK especially the north sea have had their temperatures reduced early this year!

This could well affect how much warmth we get from them!

JAY

Observers could become mistaken from the westerly flow thats arriving now over the UK but its of a pure polar maritime flavour as opposed to air from the western atlantic therefore not as cold as recent but still very chilly and merely a less cold blip before a reload occurs through sunday into next week.

The jet stream does contribute but not solely and is driven from such teleconnections from Arctic and North Atlantic Oscillation (AO & NAO) through to tropical trade winds, global mountain torque, Stratospheric warming & cooling and the much hyped La Ninas and El ninos of this world, Not much to factor in their then I here you ask? :laugh1:

HERE shows the current domestic and wider sea surface temps which play their part but your on the ball offering that this record colds here for a while longer yet Jay :wink: but hold on before going for a flutter on a white xmas as its foolish to yay or nay until 144 hrs before the big day but you can still beat the bookies if your quick! MTF :001_smile: