Proper job tree work, is this you?

Rowan the Bruce

[ATTACH]51293[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]51294[/ATTACH]

Now here's a pretty sight I saw the other day. We turned up to do some pruning on a TPO sycamore and down the road 50 yards were this crew. I watched amazed as the guy in his ancient harness from the seventies (rock harness) swung his blunt stihl 170 with consumate ease through the air one handed, dropping branches on the groundies below who also had no ppe on.

After we had finished our work, I walked passed the site on the way to see my client, and in passing, said to a chap who was loading logs into the back of a pick up ' I've never seen anything like it' - the chap turned and said to me 'what! the speed at which he's taking the tree down' I simply had to laugh in his face and say 'No! the complete disregard for any health and safety'

I continued the conversation and the words TPO, HSE, photos, PPE etc were mentioned.

Then panick strikes - we're self employed, we've got helmets etc they just get in the way blah! blah!

On the way back from my client I reassured them that I was only joking,(food for thought never hurts though). After all I'm not a complete bstard, however, I did pass my card on to the developer and asked him if he needed a professional to give us a bell.:thumbup:

Reminds me of the other evening....tracked chipper (big TW) working other side of the hedge, blasting chip at/ through the hedge. No PPE in sight, not even a pair of ear defenders, andi it was starting to go dark too. They carried on for another hour.....probably only had the chipper for the weekend.

My dad who is a paramedic with 30+ years expierience went to a job a few weeks back involving a tree "surgeon" without the appropriate PPE and equipment, He gave me a ring and asked me if my colleagues and i could help the HSE with their investigations in how this gentle who was working on his own had fallen 35 ft onto his chipper. The man had 8 broken ribs, a collapsed lung, ruptured spleen, torn liver, torn kidney quite possibly the worst injury i have heard of ... a fully torn prolapsed rectum caused by the sudden stop when he hit the chipper shute. He is now in the local High Dependency unit. The HSE has already assertained that the man did not have the correct PPE for the job as we didnt find a hard hat, gloves or cut chainsaw trousers at the scene of the accident. We were courteous enough to finish off the job he had started. The police will be having words with him when he has recovered enough as his vehicle was massively overloaded. The leaf springs on his Mitsubishi Fuso were bent backwards with the weight of the chipper and the chippings in the back. The tyres were bald front and rear, there was no ID tag on the chipper and the VIN number on the Fuso had been ground off. Classic signs of a cacker.