Climber V groundie pay ratio????

skyhuck

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i once worked at a company in devon where climbers were paid a climbers wage (£70 on the books) and groundies were on a groundies wage (£55 on the books) . One of the groundies felt that because he could Fell well , maintain saws well (he could sharpen like a mofo), could drive the fast track and timber trailer oh and could use the M.E.W.P for simple jobs he felt that he shold be paid as much as a climber . But all the climbers could cover all of those jobs so why should the groundy get any extra pay ?

The point I was making is a climber can do a groundies job, but a groundie can not do a climbers job.

Is a more skilled guy not worth more??

A climber is only semi-skilled, remember?:001_rolleyes:

Many climbers do just that.....climb, in fact I can probably count on one hand the number of climbers (I know personally) who I'd consider to be worth good money, the rest arent worth bothering with.

Different skills should be taken into the equation, yes, as should abilities and aptitude, regardless of whether you're up a tree or on the ground. For several jobs, its no dearer for me to hire a mewp for a t/d than to pay for a climber, but i also consider the pleasure I have working with people who are equally good at their job, and take a pride in it.

It's a tricky one, simply being a climber doesn't make a person more valuable to a company than a groundie. If a climber only climbs, and the groundie only grounds and there is an equip failure, who can fix it? Or does the job grind to a halt? If people are able to do more to keep a job running smoothly, I think they should be paid more, as a way of being shown that they are valued and appreciated.

I have been pulled off my job many times to go and bail out a job where the subbie climber we use has been unable to complete his job due to either 'finding another twig he thinks he should go back up for' come clearing up time, or inability to fix gear. He is self employed, put paid fairly poorly, as he is the way he is, and my boss isn't blind to it!

We have several people who ground, some can do lots, others can do nothing but drag. Everyone is paid slightly more or less, but it can cause upset when the difference between skill/ability is so great, and wage so small. Gives rise to a why bother attitude in some.

I have recently changed my job so its not as applicable anymore. When i worked in tree surgery and site clearance i worked on the deck, i have never climbed and i never aspired to do so. But it is true that bitching on the deck felling, rigging, dragging and running the chipper is hard work... Its all about how useful you make yourself to your employer, i could maintain and fix chippers, tow machinery, drive/maintain/fix plant and forestry machinery, price jobs, liase with customers and other contractors and i was on top of my felling. I left my last job as a non climbing foreman on £115 a day. Im a desk jockey now but i know what im worth and what i can do.

a days graft is still a days graft

most climbers are not worth what they think they are

I pay any staff the same unless we are using their pickup to move stuff

A days work is a days work

And as you should have 2 competent climbers on site make all this tosh

The only persons I pay less is the wife and my son:thumbup: