Health&performance

Yeti

yeah Yeti is spot on. keep those forearms in correct postion.

Also with pressing doing these will increase you press and should always be done in most of you exercises.

1/ Squeeze the bar

2/ clench but cheeks like you are trying to hold a penny there.

3/ lift you quads and sqeeze.

4/ grip floor with toes

5/ deep breath while pressing to contract abs

6/ contract abs

7/ keep shoulders in socket

8/ squeeze lats ( pretend you are trying to hold something in your arm pit )

correct lifting positon is Very important - lie on back on floor and put both palms under your lower back / feet together - try pushing you lower back arch into the floor and you abs will contract. remember this position as you will do this in all you lifts.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah Yeti is spot on. keep those forearms in correct postion.

Also with pressing doing these will increase you press and should always be done in most of you exercises.

1/ Squeeze the bar

2/ clench but cheeks like you are trying to hold a penny there.

3/ lift you quads and sqeeze.

4/ grip floor with toes

5/ deep breath while pressing to contract abs

6/ contract abs

7/ keep shoulders in socket

8/ squeeze lats ( pretend you are trying to hold something in your arm pit )

correct lifting positon is Very important - lie on back on floor and put both palms under your lower back / feet together - try pushing you lower back arch into the floor and you abs will contract. remember this position as you will do this in all you lifts.

Couldn't have said better myself martyn,there is too little emphasis on correct lifting techniuqe in today's gyms.Keep safe and stay strong guys!.

And for all you hard gainers on here Make sure you chow down on all the food this time of year brings :)

all the best to everyone over the festive period and new year

• 6 months later...

just completed the most fantastic workout ever today

Ever since my tennis elbow saga i haven't trained anywhere near as hard as i wanted and i have taken far too much time off from the gym.Whenever this happens i feel my mind weakens with my body and only one thing to do is test ones true spirit via a gruelling workout.Off to the squat rack i went.

loaded up 20kg a side for nice warm up for the knees did 20 reps wide squats twenty reps stiff leg dead lifts and a set of 20 rep good mornings

after that the true pain and suffering came,the bar was loaded to 200kg the timer was set to 1 hour,and for an entire hour solid thru rest pause sets i squatted,my nose bled i puked and to be honest i damn near shat myself with the pain but for that entire hour i battled on with nothing but a whey protein shake some creatine powder and some water to sip to get me thru

tomorrow i probably will not be able to walk but one thing is for sure my mind is back in the game!

I hope this inspires some of you to go past your pain barriers and achieve the true athletic performance you are capable of.

yeti

Hope some one can help ? At the begining of march this year i had a forklift run over my left foot [about 11 tone all together] crushing the bridge and cracking 3 bones in the bottem of my foot. Its still very painfull and can swell up quite badly . Is there enything i can do to help build it back up again. cheers mick

Change proffession I spent the last 20 years driving about the country in air conditioned 4x4 doing about 1/2 hrs work a day no aches or pains :biggrin:

Works the easy part. it's my hobbies of fighting and strength trainig that destroy me.When things hurt I like to push forward and grit my teeth and deal with the pain instead of easing off the gas and I shouldn't.Sat here icing some seriously sore quads,DOMS is a biatch

Stephen your diet is commendable, since you don't seem to have a dinner per say, you will more than likely not be able to gain any weight in the near future. That being said your metabolism will change and you may even gain some weight but maybe not in the most desired areas! BTW, Are you related to Karl Pilkington?, the resemblance is nearly as unique as Karl.

elg

Hope some one can help ? At the begining of march this year i had a forklift run over my left foot [about 11 tone all together] crushing the bridge and cracking 3 bones in the bottem of my foot. Its still very painfull and can swell up quite badly . Is there enything i can do to help build it back up again. cheers mick

Same thing happened me in 2008 a pick truck crushed my right foot with similar damage.

I done nothing for 7 weeks while it healed and I could pressure on it. Then I done some swimming that helped without hurting it, some walking and when the pain was away altogether I simply went back to my old routine without any problems.

Just keep the weight off it if it is tender and wear different shoes and trainers.

Hope that helps and it gets better quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing happened me in 2008 a pick truck crushed my right foot with similar damage.

I done nothing for 7 weeks while it healed and I could pressure on it. Then I done some swimming that helped without hurting it, some walking and when the pain was away altogether I simply went back to my old routine without any problems.

Just keep the weight off it if it is tender and wear different shoes and trainers.

Hope that helps and it gets better quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its still sore as hell but im back workin just worried the limp will stay and its allways goin to hurt cheers w4s

• 2 months later...

I get asked alot what is the most beneficial exercise for a tree surgon or woodsman.Strong hips lower back, abdominals and legs are a must in this game,to prevent injury and also to aid in everyday picking up dragging and humping stuff around

The answer I came upon was zercher squats,these are similar to the traditional front squat however the bar is cradled in the crook of the arms.These tax the lower back hamstrings glutes and core like nothing else,they also mimic perfectly the correct form for lifting heavy things from the floor.If your stuck on how to correctly execute this exercise then just hit YouTube.Anybody suffering disk issues will also like this exercise as there are no compressive forces placed on the spine due to the weight not being placed across the upper back musculature.

I like to use these on my ME squat days so I stick to triples and single reps.They can be done using lighter weights and higher reps just as easily,they will get the lungs working and your entire body screaming after a 20rep set

Happy squatting folks.Your achey lower backs and sore knees will thank me.