Vehicle query - thoughts / advice appreciated...

djbobbins

To set the scene, I'm not a pro logger or surgeon; just someone with a bit of land that I'm lucky enough to harvest wood from...

I have got a 3.2V6 Isuzu Trooper as my current workhorse, as well as a company car from the 9 - 5 (well, maybe more like 6 - 10 some days) job.

I saw the following for sale and wondered if anyone has got experience of them.

My logic was:

one of the reasons for the Trooper was to have something 4x4 for lairy weather, this would provide similar

fuel economy probably won't be much worse and in any case I will only do about 1000 miles per year so fuel cost is not a big concern

I can drive it on my old-style car licence

Doubts are:

how onerous are MOT testing and insurance charges?

missus might throw a wobbly!

Welcome to MOD Sales Online - Military Vehicles for Sale - Ex MOD Land Rovers for Sale - #33670 - LEYLAND DAF 45 / 150 4X4 FLATBED, DIRECT GOVERNMENT SALE

Any input appreciated!

Good trucks, but withams are VERY pricey.

The DAF is a good truck, but dont expect awesome off road ability, esp with those tyres. Get a winch on it or a tractor standing by if you are going to do a lot of off road work. I have seen plenty stuck...

to be honest i would not be too keen on either - both have ok off road capabailities but not great and certainly not great of road when loaded , it really does depend on just how much you wanna carry . we run a u1600 unimog and today it came into its own once again managing to get us to places we(I) didnt think we were going to get to ! And toed the mazda 4x4 out of a bog that a managed to burry it up to its axels in , however if i did not hve weekly need for a vehicle that could opperate in such conditions or to carry/ tow heavy loads and run a chipper then i would not have one .

Any way what im trying to get at is maybe you could do with something smaller that still goes most places - like a 110 hi cap landrover , i think this would be my first option . any way i hope this may help

You will have to register it as a civilian vehicle. This involves paperwork and testing but it’s not too bad. If you go for the road going vehicle it will need an MOT, it might need some work to pass.

When you register it “civvy” you might be able to get it as a 7.5 tonner (depending on what the unladen weight comes in at). As a military variant it will be heavy so don’t bet on it. If it does get a 7.5 rating your payload will be piss poor.

As others have said the off road capability is not that good. The diff lock is better described as a cross lock and the system will still allow all the power to go to whichever wheel has least grip. Mogs do better because they have a cross and diff locks. Fit diff locks to the Daf and you will have something that will grip better but the cost would be prohibitive for your purposes.

As others have said the load bed is high, very high, too high for loading to be fun.

All in all leave it where it is, you will get the same or more payload and way less aggravation with an Ifor trailer.

Andy

Having driven these vehicles i would advise to walk away with your money in your pocket. However if you did want an ex army truck look at Bedfords with the bar grip tyres on. They are much better off road even without Power steering.

For what you have described what your needs are for the vehicle choice i would agree with the HiCap Land rover 110 or possibly a 130.