crane work

timb

Watch some of Reg's vids.:thumbup:

I wouldnt advise watching a video on youtube and thinking "oh thats how you do it". Every job is different and its the same with cranes, weight limit, reach limits, crane drivers,where you will tie the pieces off, type of cut etc etc are all factors that need to be weighed up to make a crane job look smooth. :001_cool:

I wouldnt advise watching a video on youtube and thinking "oh thats how you do it". Every job is different and its the same with cranes, weight limit, reach limits, crane drivers,where you will tie the pieces off, type of cut etc etc are all factors that need to be weighed up to make a crane job look smooth. :001_cool:

Fair point. But the vid's do give an insight on what good crane work can achive.

My pride is my shame is a great one to see how crane work should not be done & the bloke who made it is man enough to post it on youtube. Nothing will ever replace the expirence of being taught on the job by someone who knows.

the only way to learn using a crane is to get with an experienced man watch him question him, put chains on for him and wait till he tells you you can do one and offers to do the chains for you so he can keep you right. Cuts, chain location, and predicting what the cut section will do are the key to crane jobs that and a good sense of self preservation

I'd agree that your best option is to work with a climber who has done his/her fair share and ask questions. If possible have them around on the ground for your first couple of jobs.

Its also useful to have a qualified slinger/signaller supplied by the crane company or contracted by yourself if you know of someone in particular. They will be able to offer advice on rigging sections and limitations.

Ask for the weight of each section after it has been lowered. This will help you in estimating weights of sections before you cut. Always work with a high safety margin.

Try and use the same driver(s) and slinger whenever possible and build a good working relationship.

Hope this helps.

Agree,I watched atleast 7 crane jobs and was on site to do all the unrigging before i did one my self and my first was a breeze although exhilerating and scary and only through watching and learning others was it made this way,would not even attempt doing one with out been atleast on two site's! If its your job get an experienced subby to learn off.