Voluntary VAT registered, is it worth it?

18 stoner

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to mention if you are getting near 70k you can make the wife a partner then it doubles to 140k before you need to register.

Er, NO!!

You would need your wife to set up a whole separate business with separate equipment, or she could hire your equipment off you at a proper rate.

The vat man takes a very dim view of tax evasion.

Er, NO!!

You would need your wife to set up a whole separate business with separate equipment, or she could hire your equipment off you at a proper rate.

The vat man takes a very dim view of tax evasion.

Perhaps things have changed but a partnership did not have to register until you reached 140 k . Bear in mind we are not talking ltd company here. I am sole trader and vat registered so I AM NOT evading any tax due. I would say the original poster needs to seek proffessional advice rather than rely on here say.

Perhaps things have changed but a partnership did not have to register until you reached 140 k . Bear in mind we are not talking ltd company here. I am sole trader and vat registered so I AM NOT evading any tax due. I would say the original poster needs to seek proffessional advice rather than rely on here say.

It makes no difference how a business is registered, sole trader, partnership or Ltd Co, the vat threshold applies to the turnover of the business and always has.

I ran 2 separate business for about 8 years, one vat registered Ltd Co, one sole trader none vat. I had to have separate equipment for both and had to be sure I could prove to the vat man that they were separate.

I would be interested to know how you guys remain unregistered (unless you are one man free lancers)

The threshold is currently £70,000 turnover per year which equates to £300 a day (based on a 260 working day year)

If you are not charging more than £300 a day for a two man team, how do you make any money?:confused1::confused1:

Obviously a certain cash element comes in to play:sneaky2:, but not £20,000 + each year.

Edited by Al Cormack
spelling

I would be interested to know how you guys remain unregistered (unless you are one man free lancers)

The threshold is currently £70,000 turnover per year which equates to £300 a day (based on a 260 working day year)

If you are not charging more than £300 a day for a two man team, how do you make any money?:confused1::confused1:

Obviously a certain cash element comes in to play:sneaky2:, but not £20,000 + each year.

i probaly dont have your over heads ,as i own evrything ,bar my nissan ,which is more per month than my morgage ,:001_smile:

I think going on the replies from this thread, there are a massive amount who are in the "optional" area of turnover.

You saying you dont declare cash, that could end up causing big problems for yourself IMO?