Chain oils an 2-stroke oil?

JamesonARB

Oregon Chain Oil, buy it in 25ltr

Stihl 2 Stroke (Red)

Granddad uses

Waste Oil as Chain Oil

Cheap 2 Stroke in 10ltr contrainers from the petrol station

Before all the hate comments come along, i know its considered back for your health using waste oil thats why i dont use it day in day out, not gunna lie i have used it when i've run out while working, but hes been using it for pretty much all his life, not sure what he used when he first started felling, i'll find out but if so hes used it for probably for 40 years + and hes fine, using chain oils now and again but not if he can help it, and as for the cheap 2 stroke he thinks it works fine, never had any trouble with any saws.

Bar oils bar oil, i get the cheapest :biggrin: Although i have got some bio too, just incase asked for it,

I always buy decent 2 stroke tho, Just ran out of the Stihl red stuff but ive heard off Petemate390xp that he the Husky stuff (is it HP?) is better in his opinion, so ill be ordering some of that this week :thumbup:

i use moped 2stroke thats been in my shed since my dad was 16, and old engine oil complete with bits of gears/swarf in it, sometimes mix it with spores of honey fungus to get more work:thumbup:, only jokin, we always use stihl oils in stihl machines, the green 2stroke oil as local stihl dealer stopped selling red. love the smell of stihl chain oil.:thumbup1:

Bar oils bar oil, i get the cheapest :biggrin: Although i have got some bio too, just incase asked for it,

I always buy decent 2 stroke tho, Just ran out of the Stihl red stuff but ive heard off Petemate390xp that he the Husky stuff (is it HP?) is better in his opinion, so ill be ordering some of that this week :thumbup:

Not HP :lol: Its called XP (suprisingly), Just remembered :laugh1:

I've been using cheap (£2/litre) 2 stroke recently, think I'm gonna go back to better stuff as the saw seems a bit rough when cold

Has anyone tried the "Supertack bio chain oil" Clark forestry sell? Its only £40 inc vat for 25l, same price as the normal oregan chain oil

I've never used bio oil before, does it lubricate as well, and do you need to adjust the pump?

Used engine oil as chain lube - shocking! I know it's common but it's dirty, environmentally very irresponsible, bad for both you and the saw/cutting components. Should be a finable offence imo :thumbdown:

Like Tommer says, supermarket veg oil is good; has a high lubricity just lacks anti-fling additive - fine so long as bar is buried in the timber. I used it for a while on firewood - bar and chain got noticeably hotter.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

I remember noticing in my Hyusky manual that you should use Husky 2stroke oil at 1:50 or any other 2stroke oil at 1:25. I thought this was just a marketing ploy to get you to buy their oil. Then I met a guy who said he had burned out a Stihl chainsaw by using cheapo 2stroke oil, apparently the usual garden machinery oil can't cope with the high revs. So I still only use chainsaw 2stroke oil at about 45:1.

I wouldn't dream of using used engine oil on a bar, as well as being absolutely minging and horrendous for your cleint's garden, there's a reason it was being thrown out, namely it is full of tiny bits of metal from inside an engine, which can't be good if it gets inside your chain links.

red stihl 2 stroke ( on the saws that wont run aspen) and stihl chain oil.

Ive used old engine oil years ago forestry felling seemed the norm back then, but i never liked it as it was manky on the gear and you ,so i went on vegy oil from the supermarket but i had it freeze a few of times in the saw so went on proper chain oil, but i do like the stihl oil.

But i see from above post clarks do an oregon one i may try that next to see what its like.