Weighed off the landy

Dean Lofthouse

what,s that overloaded before we start chipping or even as i get to work.

Am i the only one that has a brew when arrive at work and another when arrive at site:001_tt1:

No Mc Sheffrey does too, infact I think he has more brews than you and that's saying something :001_tongue:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its true that a 7.5 tonner will be more economical if you fully load it every trip but what about all those days where the chip box is half empty. I'll take my chances with the fines, i see people overloaded every day, towing a mini digger with a standard van for example, I'd love a bigger truck but by the time you've done the tests got the operators liscence and paid for the fuel and £1800 fine seems cheap to me.

As far as my van is concerned its very well maintained and i must say will stop much quicker than either of the mogs i used to drive.

The fine may seem cheap but bear in mind if your caught once and prosecuted VOSA will then keep an eye out for you and the fines/punishments get heavier, points on licence will mean dearer insaurance as well. its all worth taking into account.

i see people overloaded every day, towing a mini digger with a standard van for example

most vans/ 3.5 ton trucks can tow between 2 and 3.5tons thats a lot more than they can carry, not so sure I understand what you mean when you say, you see vans towing diggers over loaded..:confused1:

Have an accident whilst over loaded injure someone, see what a jury and judge think of that...:questionmark::sad:

most vans/ 3.5 ton trucks can tow between 2 and 3.5tons thats a lot more than they can carry, not so sure I understand what you mean when you say, you see vans towing diggers over loaded..:confused1:

QUOTE]

Most panel type vans can tow much less than 3.5 ton usually 2.2. the average minidigger weighs 2 ton so allow 800Kg for the triailer and you're way over. I was looking in to this recently as i was getting a new 4x4, many of the new ones have pathetic towing weights, the new hilux is 2.2 ton i think and the ever popular navara only 2.8. I saw a navara towing a bobcat 325 the other day that digger weighs just over 3 ton on its own.

If you look overloaded you'll get pulled otherwise you're ok, so stiff springs and a powerful engine are the way to go.

I've said it before IMO the best vehicle for general domestic arb work is two 3.5 tonners. A single 3.5 tonner is too small most days, but there are lighter just as profitable days when a small truck is fine. I don't know how much more it costs to run a 7.5 tonner but I bet it's not much less than the two transits. Loads of other advantages of having two trucks, which I won't repeat..

Obviously 4wd is sometimes necessary but we've got that covered with a tractor and the Pinin.

I've said it before IMO the best vehicle for general domestic arb work is two 3.5 tonners. A single 3.5 tonner is too small most days, but there are lighter just as profitable days when a small truck is fine. I don't know how much more it costs to run a 7.5 tonner but I bet it's not much less than the two transits. Loads of other advantages of having two trucks, which I won't repeat..

Obviously 4wd is sometimes necessary but we've got that covered with a tractor and the Pinin.

Have to say I agree, we currently use an ldv and a landy with a tipping trailer. With 2 vans you could also send guys to two different small jobs or take both vans to one big job.

Its true that a 7.5 tonner will be more economical if you fully load it every trip but what about all those days where the chip box is half empty. I'll take my chances with the fines, i see people overloaded every day, towing a mini digger with a standard van for example, I'd love a bigger truck but by the time you've done the tests got the operators liscence and paid for the fuel and £1800 fine seems cheap to me.

As far as my van is concerned its very well maintained and i must say will stop much quicker than either of the mogs i used to drive.

I work for guys with both 7.5 and 3.5 tonners. IMO the larger is the better of the two. It can get in places most transits can, less trips to the tip and the day runs smoother on the big jobs. You ask about the days when the chipp box is half full? This is down to you... you can book the jobs in accordingly, have a number of pruning jobs in successive days and then tip the chips ready for the larger jobs where more capacity is required...:thumbup1: