Weighed off the landy

Dean Lofthouse

The 130 wasn't originally designed as a tipper option, and to be honest still isn't a viable option for a tree surgeon spending 90% of their time on tarmac roads. There are better 3.5ton tippers out there for road work.

A Landy is good if you don't need to cart much chip off

Need the large towing capacity

spend a lot of time off road.

Thats why I have one, I could never upgrade to a 7.5tonner it would do my nut in, I'd have to clear fell half the woods I go into to get it in.

Dean,

Your tipper looks like its a steel dropside? or is it painted ally? Also your chip box looks like it consists of a lot of 3/4ply thats roughly 20 kilos a sheet if its dry so if you 5 sheets that 100kg! is it worth trying to shep a few kilos?

I don't really know the nature of your work but I guess you like the landy to drag the mewp round?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With my LDV i go by the gap between the springs and the bump stops, I had it weighed once when buying some type 1 so i know what it looks like at 3.5ton. Its only a rough guide and yes i go over weight a lot. But with the price of diesel now and the fact that i'd have to the E test to tow a trailer and my groundie would have to do C+E I can't justify getting a 7.5 Tonner. I'm going to get a newer 3.5 tonner that can take lots of weight and take my chances with the law.

Its good to know that tha landy can take the weight though, I've been considering a 130 tipper.

With my LDV i go by the gap between the springs and the bump stops, I had it weighed once when buying some type 1 so i know what it looks like at 3.5ton. Its only a rough guide and yes i go over weight a lot. But with the price of diesel now and the fact that i'd have to the E test to tow a trailer and my groundie would have to do C+E I can't justify getting a 7.5 Tonner. I'm going to get a newer 3.5 tonner that can take lots of weight and take my chances with the law.

Its good to know that tha landy can take the weight though, I've been considering a 130 tipper.

A 7.5 tonner will carry 2.5 times what a 3.5 tonner will legally, and will return better economy as its doing it.

Considering how big the fine and points are for overloading, I think breaking the law to save money is daft. You'll be crying in your beer when you get the £1800 fine for being 250kgs overweight:thumbdown:

Are you really saying you are prepared to spend out on a newer 3.5ton tipper load it overweight regularly? Thats how your post reads?

Ed has a point about fines, however I'd be more worried about being on the same road as you when you have an accident caused by regular overloading. Think about it if the vehicle has been designed to gross at 3500kg. thats it. You will be putting exvessive strain on the drive train, brakes, chassis and tipping gear.

The landy weighs 2540 empty.

I have thought about getting shut of the ply and steel side boards and replacing with an Ali box which would save a good few kilos, but to be honest not 500kg which is what I reckon I am over if I put on what I normally put on.

I use the landy a LOT off road and definately need 4x4 and a low box + winch.

I've started making enquiries into a Mog but the basic spec ones, no pto, linkage or hydraulics, just a basic load carrier.

I've been quoted 16.5K plus vat for a U1300L around 20K miles.

Might have to sell the landy and the Mewp, anyone want a damaged repairable mewp :001_tongue:

A 7.5 tonner will carry 2.5 times what a 3.5 tonner will legally, and will return better economy as its doing it.

Considering how big the fine and points are for overloading, I think breaking the law to save money is daft. You'll be crying in your beer when you get the £1800 fine for being 250kgs overweight:thumbdown:

The guns and beaters wont like it in the back of a 7.5 tonner, specially when they they have to get out and push!:001_tongue:

Its true that a 7.5 tonner will be more economical if you fully load it every trip but what about all those days where the chip box is half empty. I'll take my chances with the fines, i see people overloaded every day, towing a mini digger with a standard van for example, I'd love a bigger truck but by the time you've done the tests got the operators liscence and paid for the fuel and £1800 fine seems cheap to me.

As far as my van is concerned its very well maintained and i must say will stop much quicker than either of the mogs i used to drive.

This is why I got my mog Dean, as I have said before with a 3.5 tonner your over loaded by morning brew.

what,s that overloaded before we start chipping or even as i get to work.

Am i the only one that has a brew when arrive at work and another when arrive at site:001_tt1: